CNC Foam Lathe

More
14 Jul 2024 12:55 - 14 Jul 2024 12:58 #305143 by my1987toyota
CNC Foam Lathe was created by my1987toyota
  For the last few moths I have been building a 4 axis cnc foam cutter for building wings and other uses. About a
month ago someone from the RC flying club I am with asked me if I could use the foam cutter for building round
fuselage foam plugs so he could make fiberglass molds of the plane parts . The more I thought about the
problem the more I came to the conclusion that a lathe was a more appropriate solution. Keep in mind these
pieces would be rather large not just an inch or two in diameter. They would also be complex in shape. integrated
canopy tear drop and eccentric cones type of things. This means that I would also need to have spindle coordinated
cutting and all that with a heated tip as the cutting tool.

Unlike my currently operational foam cutter I need to use LinuxCNC for the more advanced capabilities that
GRBL simply doesn't have like closed loop spindle control. I will be using linear rails and 3D printed parts with
aluminum extrusions for the frame.

Stay tuned this could be interesting
Last edit: 14 Jul 2024 12:58 by my1987toyota. Reason: reorganizing the words
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2024 17:47 - 14 Jul 2024 20:06 #305161 by my1987toyota
Replied by my1987toyota on topic CNC Foam Lathe
  So my first obstacle doesn't even have to do with the machine, it has to do with my cad/cam program.
I had never needed to use more then 3 axis of movement before so it wasn't until today that I realized
fusion 360 won't allow synchronized turning without paying extra for the add-on. Keep it up Autodesk
I am really close to fully abandoning Windows and fusion 360 altogether. the Question now though
is do I just treat the models as 3D and add the 4th axis manually or can I repurpose the third axis as
a rotary axis? I guess there's always DevCAD.  More research is needed.

Last edit: 14 Jul 2024 20:06 by my1987toyota. Reason: adding info

More
15 Jul 2024 02:52 #305187 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic CNC Foam Lathe
Interesting project.

Without knowing what your machine or the cutting tool (wire) will look like, would it be possible to use polar interpolation and configure the machine & F360 like a C-axis lathe?

Another thought...I wonder if using LCNC's external offsets would be a way to get around the F360 restrictions.  Andy Pugh and some others have posted some pretty interesting non-cylindrical turning videos... maybe a low-speed foam lathe would be a great platform for external offsets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, my1987toyota

More
15 Jul 2024 09:16 - 15 Jul 2024 09:22 #305215 by my1987toyota
Hi spumco. I will look that over. In the case of my machine I intend to use a soldering iron for the
cutting tip.
www.amazon.com/Walnut-Hollow-Versa-Temp-...id=1721035279&sr=8-6
Last edit: 15 Jul 2024 09:22 by my1987toyota. Reason: adding link

More
15 Jul 2024 14:50 - 15 Jul 2024 14:51 #305235 by my1987toyota
  So far I am thinking I may set the lathe up more like a 2 axis with the spindle as a rotary indexer to escape
the multiple axis problem. That does require a rethink for setting up the part model of instead of a cylindrical part
to a 3D flat part and cut the model out in multiple longitudinal slices.

in any case the G-code will require splicing to bring it all together.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2024 14:51 by my1987toyota. Reason: adding information

More
15 Jul 2024 19:13 #305266 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic CNC Foam Lathe
I think F360 could be coaxed in to spitting out all the longitudinal moves in one go.
  • Draw an axis down the rotational axis of your part
  • Create plane at angle, using the axis line
    • Project the cross-section of the part (body intersect) on to the plane
  • Create pencil toolpath along the 'top half' of the projected path
  • Repeat the plane & projection as many times around the same axis as you need resolution.
    • Would depend on the resolution of the burned/melted area your soldering iron tip creates - which likely varies depending on temp and 'feed-rate.' Might need 36 planes, might need way more.
  • Repeat toolpath for each rotational angle plane, using tool orientation to adjust the "A" axis (in your case it'd be the C-axis)
Posting the gcode should result in a single file with a series of longitudinal moves (Z) with varying X values along the part profile, repeated for each A-axis orientation.

I wonder how deep you could dig with each pass? I was imagining something like a loop-shaped hot wire knife scooping off great big ribbons of foam like Godzilla's own apple peeler.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds