Barfeeder controller upgrade for citizen L32 turning center

More
22 Aug 2024 06:26 #308367 by pmchetan
Hello,

I have a swiss type lathe with IEMCA Boss 332r bar feeder. Something jammed during operation and the bar pusher motor got burnt. It is a 165 VDC servo system (ELMO CLA6/200CD DC drive with motor power company T85.TR3,2 BLDC) controlled by a Arteco SU310 single axis PLC. Spare parts were almost impossible to find and so I decided to change the servo system to one of modern Fuji alpha smart 5 AC servo since the old servo ran on analog voltage controls from the PLC, I thought, the new system fits right in if I supply alternating current to the new drive.

It turned out to be more complex because the PLC isn't giving proper analog signals(remains within 0.25 volts)
Contacted many PLC programmers around but nobody deals with the make of PLC I have. Tried contacting the makers and there's been no reply so far.
I have to options and need help with it:
1. If someone has any information on Programming and flashing the PLC mentioned above, that will be very helpful.
2. If I am to completely remove the controller and replace it with a mesa card and linuxcnc controller, is there something the interconnects the bar feeder controller with the lathe's controller(Citizen CM2-PC805-0)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2024 07:47 - 22 Aug 2024 07:58 #308373 by Aciera

2. If I am to completely remove the controller and replace it with a mesa card and linuxcnc controller, is there something the interconnects the bar feeder controller with the lathe's controller(Citizen CM2-PC805-0)?

When you say 'remove the controller and replace it with a mesa card and linuxcnc' I presume you are talking about the controller for the bar feeder. If that is the case then you would need to know what kind of interface signals the lathes Citizen controller uses to communicate with the bar feeder. My guess would be some kind of serial interface like Modbus or Profibus. That would be the first thing to check.

[edit]
This seems to be a Modbus Slave HAL module for LinuxCNC but information is rather scarce:
github.com/sittner/linuxcnc-mbslave/blob...les/mbslave-conf.xml
Last edit: 22 Aug 2024 07:58 by Aciera.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pmchetan

More
23 Aug 2024 01:47 #308436 by Benb
Quick google shows on eBay a picture of Citizen CM2-PC805-0 it's not a controller it's just a discrete IO card. The interface between your machine controller and the Arteco PLC is done true discrete IO's.
You need the schematic of your machine to be able to wire a new PLC to control the bare feeder. no need for LinuxCNC an overkill for this project.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pmchetan

More
23 Aug 2024 03:32 #308438 by pmchetan
The lathe signals are going to the PLC's I/Os.
Since I'm new to PLCs and have a few mesa card lying around, I thought, linuxcnc was a easy way.
Looks like I need to learn to program a PLC now. If anybody have the firmware for the Arteco PLC (for analog axis control) {Arteco mentions they provide function blocks for analog control or PWM} I shall try to get the existing PLC working or should I just get a new PLC. I have the schematics for the interface between lathe and bar feeder.

More
24 Aug 2024 01:58 #308512 by Benb
I re-read your initial message here what got out of it: The ELMO CLA6/200CD DC servo drive burnt out. You purchased Fuji alpha smart 5 AC servo and your having problem making it work with Arteco SU310 PLC.  Your servo motor is a Power Tetra 85 BLDC type.  A search for Fuji Alpha smart 5AC reveals that it’s a 3 phase AC servo drive thus compatibility problem. Possible solutions in your case: from best to worst”
  • Find used Elmo drive on eBay
  • Repair the Elmo drive
  • Find BLDC drive that is compatible with your motor and can be adapted to work with the Artco PLC (your wiring diagram, Google and eBay are your friends in this case)
  • Keep Fuji drive replace the servo motor with an ac 3 phase motor (same power as the existing motor, same line voltage same as fuji drive and has built in encoder that is compatible with fuji drive). You will also need a new control system such as Arduino or Linuxcnc but you will also need to hardwire it to Citizen CM2-PC805-0.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds