Mazak Quickturn 10 x2 retrofit ideas!

More
17 Oct 2024 05:45 #312336 by Appliedmarine
Hi All, 
I've started to build a retrofit system for a Cincinnati Sabre 500 milling machine, however now I've come across a more urgent job where I'd need to reasonably quickly convert one of my Mazak QT10 lathes, Both are known to have faults, I planned to repair them using the original Mazatrol T1 controllers, however the original parameter information and documents are missing from the machines. I have contacted the previous owner, despite his best efforts, he had decided to scrap the machines a week before I contacted him, and put the old manuals in the fire pit as he couldn't sell the machines. 
one machine has a tail stock, one doesn't. Both run ATC turrets 
unlucky for me! (I have an electronics engineer who would have helped repair the machines hardware faults) 
I'm now in the position, of what's going to be the quickest way to get them running,  
options -
1. Fit resolvers to the axis motors and run a Mesa board type setup - lots of custom config and wiring. (I see someone on here has done this on a Mazak before, a micro15, seemed very in depth to get it working) Seems controlling the original spindle wasn't to hard.
2. Fit 2 x new step/direction type servo motors and control it with a Pico systems step/direction controller. Jon has been very helpful with the setup on the milling machine to date.
3. Open to ideas! - the easier the better, I'm very electrically inclined but I'm a mechanic not an engineer

I have built a retrofit cnc controller previously for a stepper motor CNC router using UCCNC, I'm looking to have closed loop feedback on this machine if possible.
I appreciate any help anyone can give towards this subject! 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2024 00:28 #312451 by tommylight

More
18 Oct 2024 00:55 #312453 by Appliedmarine
Thank you Tommylight,
I read that post last night! very interesting build you've done!
Looking back, would it have been worth changing to step/direction digital servos or worth the effort involved with the analogue gear?
Was the VFD hard to integrate into linux with the MESA system? I'm looking at using Pico systems, as they might have a converter for the resolvers.

More
18 Oct 2024 01:24 #312455 by tommylight
For me it is easy, although time consuming, and the fact that mice ate the cabling only pushed me to do the retrofit sooner as i already had all the hardware ready and waiting. This was a fully working machine before the mice incident.
As for step/dir vs analog, i used them both and it is the same for me, i like both.
Mine had some "backwards" resolvers so i had to switch to encoders, i would have liked to keep the resolvers for sure.
VFD was easy, after figuring out what pin/wire does what. The relay board with ... many relays was a pain to follow and test and wire in, but a quickly made magnetic phone holder helped a lot, stick it somewhere-set it to record the DVM-go chase cables around the machine-watch video! :) Nice physical workout, for sure.
I still have some stuff left to wire in as i need another Mesa 7i84 or i can replace the one in the control panel with a 7i73 as i have one and put the 7i84 from the control panel on the back.
Besides foot pedals, can not recall what else was left out, but the machine is fully functional...with a missing hydraulic chuck! :(
If you machine is similar to mine, there are a lot of IO there, so i am not sure Pico can handle that but i hope Jon sees this and he can confirm if that is OK.
Mesa also has some boards for resolvers, but first do check what you have to make sure they can work for you.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds