problem with wiring 7i33

More
09 Aug 2011 08:53 #12323 by pazh
Hi,
I want to connect my new encoder to my 7i33 card to check whether it works fine or not,
the encoder has 8 cables, 2 for power, 6 for signals.

First problem is that I don't know how to do the wiring. According to 7i33 manual, for example for first axis, I must use pin 2 for A output, pin 3 for ground of A output and so on. but when I did like this the motor didn't recognize the encoder and started to rotate for itself. I'm using 5i23 and pncconf. so, how should I change the wiring?

next, I want to check everything with just one axis connected to the 5i33! Can I do such a thing? I mean without connecting limit switch and others, just the x-axis motor and the encoder. when I use pncconf open loop test everything seems okay and the motor rotate as I want. but inside emc2 I got error about joint limit. Is that because of limit switch?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2011 12:47 - 09 Aug 2011 12:48 #12337 by BigJohnT
Is the encoder connected to the drive for the servo? If so you can't break that loop as the drive says go this direction and this fast and uses normally a tach generator to know if more or less power is needed to turn the motor. Usually there is a separate encoder or other feedback device is on the ball screw to report back position information to the controller.

Tell us more about your machine...

John
Last edit: 09 Aug 2011 12:48 by BigJohnT.

More
09 Aug 2011 14:50 - 09 Aug 2011 14:51 #12339 by andypugh
pazh wrote:

next, I want to check everything with just one axis connected to the 5i33! Can I do such a thing? I mean without connecting limit switch and others, just the x-axis motor and the encoder. when I use pncconf open loop test everything seems okay and the motor rotate as I want. but inside emc2 I got error about joint limit. Is that because of limit switch?

Yes. I do a lot of testing this way.
You can load only as much as you need. This means not bothering with Axis, or Motion or....

You can do this from the command line with halrun: (The ... indicate several more similar lines)

halrun

loadrt hostm2
loadrt hm2_pci config="firmware= hm2/5i23/svss8_8.bit num_encoders=1, num_pwmgens=1"
loadrt threads
loadrt pid
net fb hm2_5i23.0.encoder.0.position => pid.0.feedback
setp hm2_5i23.0.encoder.0.scale 1024
start
setp pid.0.value 100
setp pid.0.Pgain .2

And so on.
After a while typing is all in every time gets a bit much, so you can put most of it in a textfile with a .hal extension and:

halrun
source test.hal
setp pid.0.Pgain.2
setp pid.0.value 100
setp pid.0.value 0
setp pid.0.Igain .01

See the halcmd docs for more info.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2011 14:51 by andypugh.

More
10 Aug 2011 02:15 #12367 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:problem with wiring 7i33
If you think its limit switches not set up right -its easy to check with AXIS running.
you can either load HALMETER or 'show HAl configuration' (look under machine heading)
the look for pin similar to :
axis.0.pos-lim-sw-in ( this is for the positive limit switch of axis 0 ,the X axis)
axis.0.neg-lim-sw-in ( this is for the negative limit switch of axis 0 ,the X axis)
If it's true and the machine is not on the limit switch then that is your problem.
More then likely you need to invert the mesa pin, in PNCconf there is an invert checkbox.
This is very common.
I am considering adding limit leds to the open loop test to indicate the switches.
I'm just a little worried that people will thing they are functional too and they are not functional in that test.

Chris M

More
10 Aug 2011 02:23 #12368 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:problem with wiring 7i33
By the way you don't HAVE to change the wiring for the 7i33 if the encoder is the wrong one. just select that axis encoder in a different position.

You might not have noticed but firmware that uses the 7i33 the first encoder is actually #1 and the second encoder is #0 - they are not in numerical order.
same with the PWM pins. This is probably why your encoder didn't respond. but an axis encoder can be set for any of the available encoder inputs.
(I hope that was clear :) )

In the up coming EMC 2.5 pncconf displays the component number rather then the electrical pin number to help users notice this.
(the electrical pin number will be available in the read me)

More
10 Aug 2011 12:27 #12378 by pazh
Replied by pazh on topic Re:problem with wiring 7i33
thanks all, and sorry for delay in response
yes, the encoder connected to a servo motor, actually it's an bridgeport2 machine so I had to change the encoders in order to work with emc2.
I'll check these today. thanks again

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds