FET-3 Rev B Drive Timing

• jmwright
  • jmwright's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Jan 2012 02:58 #17213 by jmwright
FET-3 Rev B Drive Timing was created by jmwright
I've got a FET-3 board from Stepperworld.com and everything seems to be working pretty well, but I need to get the drive timing dialed in. I didn't see an entry for the FET-3 or the FET-4 (which is basically a 4-axis version of the FET-3) on the timing Wiki page (wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Stepper_Drive_Timing). I also suspect that my "Rev B" version of the board was originally based on a stepper IC and is now a PIC, which may have changed the timing from the original.

There was a discussion over at CNCZone.com on getting the FET-3 to work, but there was never any resolution. I was wondering if anyone here has gotten the FET-3 timings worked out. It would save me quite a bit of time experimenting.

The CNC Zone discussion:
www.cnczone.com/forums/emc_linux_enhance...fet3_controller.html

Thanks,

Jeremy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2012 12:38 #17224 by BigJohnT
Have you emailed This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and asked them for the step/direction timings?

If they don't have a clue then you could figure them out via testing and using the stepper test from the manual to determine when you have gone too far.

linuxcnc.org/docview/html/common_Stepper_Diagnostics.html

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ghwomb

More
27 Feb 2012 16:23 - 27 Feb 2012 16:24 #18152 by jmwright
Thanks for the response John. It took me awhile to get things to the point where I could respond.

I did email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. back in late January and have not heard anything back.

Based on the stepper diagnostic link you gave me, I was able to get the machine running well. The accuracy and repeatability are very good.

Before I submit the FET-3 controller timings for the wiki I have another question though. It doesn't seem to matter what I set the "Direction Hold" and "Direction Setup" values to in the "Basic machine information" Stepconf screen (attached image). They can both be 100 ns or 4000ns and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

In the "Tweaking Software Step Generation" document below, it mentions that with "normal stepping (no direction change), the increased dirhold value has no effect". Does that mean that the "Direction Setup" value won't have any effect either?

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Tweaki...ftwareStepGeneration
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Feb 2012 16:24 by jmwright.

More
27 Feb 2012 16:55 #18155 by BigJohnT
Direction Setup and Direction Hold are only for the direction pin not the step pin. There should be a point where a low number makes a difference if your base thread is fast enough. I would leave them both at 4k and I even doubt you get that with a 19k base thread.

John

More
27 Feb 2012 17:00 #18157 by jmwright
Thanks again John. I'll leave them at 4k then.

I appreciate the help.

Jeremy

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds