Cheap reliable boards in the UK?

• Smecky
  • Smecky's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Apr 2012 18:10 #19502 by Smecky
Cheap reliable boards in the UK? was created by Smecky
Hello LinuxCNCers, firstly allow me to apologise for my ineptitude concerning CNC, I'm only beginning my journey with it.

I'm looking to buy a number of boards which I can use to control a variety of NC hardware, chief among which are stepper motors. Does anyone know of a particular make or UK-based retailer that provides boards that are low performance/cost but reliable? I have been looking around on ebay, but I confess, I don't know what parameters define a good, solid board.

Thanks in advance answerers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2012 21:38 #19509 by BigJohnT
Usually cheap and reliable don't fit in the same sentence... by boards do you mean stepper drivers? For low performance you can drive most stepper drivers from the parallel port. There are some folks here from your neck of the woods that can advise what has worked for them and is available in the UK.

Andy gave this to me on the IRC.

<andypugh> JT-Shop: www.zappautomation.co.uk

John

• Smecky
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Apr 2012 08:30 #19512 by Smecky
Replied by Smecky on topic Re:Cheap reliable boards in the UK?
Crikey, maybe I'll give up the reliability premium for now. To start with, I was thinking of something more along these:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-3-Axis-Stepper-Mo...&hash=item4162b628fc

lines. Would these even work?

Plus, what is a breakout board?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-5-Axis-Breakout-i...&hash=item3cc1c1f510

I presume it doesn't drive stepper motors per se? If not, what other hardware might you need?

Thanks again John.

More
25 Apr 2012 09:23 #19516 by cncbasher
those are cheap and fail regular .. , you dont say what type of NC Hardware your looking to control .. give us some idea and we can advise
as John says cheap and reliable dont always go together .. however try'd and tested does not need to be over priced either , depending on the equipement and job in hand

• Smecky
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Apr 2012 09:29 #19517 by Smecky
Replied by Smecky on topic Re:Cheap reliable boards in the UK?
Right, of course. Well, I'm looking to control a few stepper motors and some other NC hardware, such as valves and hopefully an NC air decompresser (if there even is such a thing). As I say, this is all rather new to me. Is there no one-stop-shop in the UK for automation and NC hardware?

More
25 Apr 2012 09:39 - 25 Apr 2012 15:32 #19518 by ArcEye
Hi

The guy who runs Zapp Automation, used to work for and re-sells MotionControl drivers and steppers largely.
Both are based near me.
www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=22

MotionControl drivers seem to be re-badged Leadshine units. I have several of them.

He also resells a breakout board from DiyCNC, at over double the price that Roy from DiyCNC charges for them.

This is a Leadshine 'type' driver, not recommending this seller, just first I came to.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Stepper-Motor-Dri...&hash=item3a69ac3409

Shop around and consider buying direct from Hong Kong. I bought 3 x 8.2A units for less than £100 with only a 2 week wait. (was a few years ago but still cheaper method now)
These are just jumper, fit and forget units

I would not buy any open board units like the ones you highlighted. They use a low amperage capable chip and tend to be poorly heat sunk so are of limited practical application.

DiyCNC is at www.diycnc.co.uk
The simple BoB with charge pump is at www.diycnc.co.uk/html/pcpps.htm l £17.50 delivered
I have bought lots of stuff from him before and can recommend his BoBs and Spindle Boards.

For drivers, stick to the Leadshine type.

regards
Last edit: 25 Apr 2012 15:32 by ArcEye.

More
25 Apr 2012 11:29 #19521 by cncbasher
i'd back ArcEye's comments also , i have used many leadshine drivers and used zapp for many of my retrofit and manufacturing needs , iv'e not had a bad one at all over the years .
another supplier you can add is www.arceurotrade.co.uk

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds