New Machine build by a newbie, Hardware question

More
10 Mar 2013 19:54 #31166 by muddbog
So I've decided to build my First CNC Machine, After looking around for the software to use I found Linuxcnc. Cost and Functionality were the deciding factors. but now I come to the question of what electronics I need to build a 5 axis machine. I am going to build a dedicated computer to run the machine, the computer, drivers, power supply, etc will be housed in the same box. I think I will be using the Mesa 5i20 FPGA card for I/O.

For manual controls I want to use a flight sim joystick of some sort.

I want to run the Nema 34 stepper motors 48v 4.7a serial or 48v 9.5a parallel

Thing that are still a question in my head.

- What do I need for Drivers. I want to build these myself. I have been looking at the DRV8432 from TI for building these. Will these work? I have a free sample on the way, I want to be able to upgrade this machine later if needed without having to redo the electronics. Are there schematics that I could use to get a good start?

- Do I need a Controller? If so Are there schematics to assist me?

I am just starting out with building circuit boards, I understand the "basics" about electronics. CNC machines are totally new to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2013 21:32 #31172 by emcPT
I do not want to discourage you, but if you want a 5 axis machine for the first machine that you will build then the objective is very high placed.

Your questions:
The controller is linuxcnc
Buy the drivers instead of making your own (will be cheaper at the end)

More
10 Mar 2013 21:50 #31175 by muddbog
I figured it would be easier to buy than build them but I didn't expect it to be cheaper to buy.

And yes I understand that my goal is set high but I am just that type of person... Go all the way or don't go at all... haha

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds