Mesa 7i43 + 7i39 firmware

More
21 Mar 2013 09:03 #31657 by kostas
Hi,

I searched a little but can't find a firmware for the 7i43 + 7i39. I see that a .BIT file is mentioned in this forum and in the mailing list, but I can't find the source.
I didn't try installing a fresh linuxcnc iso, I just updated from 2.4.7 to 2.5.2 with apt, so maybe I'm missing something here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2013 11:15 #31664 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa 7i43 + 7i39 firmware
freeby.mesanet.com/svtp4_7i43-200.zip
freeby.mesanet.com/svtp4_7i43-400.zip

More
21 Mar 2013 16:25 #31669 by kostas
Replied by kostas on topic Mesa 7i43 + 7i39 firmware
Thanks Peter. Will I get similar results if I compile PIN_SVTP4_7I39_48.vhd?

More
21 Mar 2013 20:31 #31677 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Mesa 7i43 + 7i39 firmware

In theory. In practice it might be better to use the versions from Mesa as they are known to work.
I have used the 7i43/7i39 combination. You will need the "bldc" hal component too.

More
21 Mar 2013 21:38 #31679 by kostas
Thanks Andy. I might have to get a different pinout for other drives in the future, so I want to know my options.
I was also wondering why there isn't a bit file already in the hostmot2-firmware package, though there is a vhdl file in the source that looks it has same pinout with the bit file Peter uploaded.

Yes, I've seen your video. May I ask, what's your guess on driving Yaskawa SGMM-S312 motors? Data sheet says these are 10W, 24V, 3000RPM with a 2048P/R incremental encoder. This is the first time I'm going the BLDC route and I'm a little nervous because I don't want anything burned by mistake.

More
21 Mar 2013 22:04 #31681 by PCW

Yes it should be identical. none of the modules used in that config have changed in a long time

If you are building sserial or resolver firmware you should use the Mesa source. Both of these use embedded processors with firmware that has had many revisions.

(and yes I do have the coffee cup that says: dont bother me, its clearly a software problem)

More
22 Mar 2013 02:12 #31688 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Mesa 7i43 + 7i39 firmware

May I ask, what's your guess on driving Yaskawa SGMM-S312 motors? Data sheet says these are 10W, 24V, 3000RPM with a 2048P/R incremental encoder.

They are very small motors. 10W really isn't very much. The 7i39 is rated at 300W. I will leave PCW to say if running so far below peak current is likely to be a problem for the drives. You may need to be careful with the current limits.

As far as I can see the motors have no Hall signals, so you will have to either align magnetically or to index. It may take a bit of fiddling to find the right combination.

More
22 Mar 2013 02:27 #31689 by PCW
I would worry about over-current
For such a small motor. i would probably change the
current sense resistors so the 7I39 current limit is a safe value
for those motors, or al least use s 7I39H which has a lower current rating

Whats is the maximum motor current?

More
22 Mar 2013 03:31 #31690 by kostas

They are very small motors. 10W really isn't very much.

I like building very small machines! I have 8 of these motors, so I'm thinking of a small hexapod and two motors for backup. These motors are really cute, I just can't keep them in the drawer any more :)

The 7i39 is rated at 300W. I will leave PCW to say if running so far below peak current is likely to be a problem for the drives. You may need to be careful with the current limits.

I think I will not use the 7i39 for these motors, I'm only testing now as I don't have any other way. I think I'll search for a schematic, any suggestions are welcomed. Mesa's products are great, but I'll need 3 of them if I make the hexapod and I don't have the money ..

As far as I can see the motors have no Hall signals, so you will have to either align magnetically or to index. It may take a bit of fiddling to find the right combination.

Yes, they only have incr encoders and I'll probably align with the index.

I'm testing with a free running hal configuration now, playing with the bldc comp frequency to see some action. Motor is turning smoothly but gets rather warm with a small current, less than 1A. I try to understand what the bldc.0.value should be for testing. Reading other posts in the forum, I've seen hal files that connect the value to pid's output and I'm trying to figure out how it all works. I guess I have a lot more experimenting to do before I understand how to configure. It's a lot harder than I expected, as I have built closed loop machines only with brush dc motors so far.

More
22 Mar 2013 03:35 #31691 by kostas

I would worry about over-current
For such a small motor. i would probably change the
current sense resistors so the 7I39 current limit is a safe value
for those motors, or al least use s 7I39H which has a lower current rating

Whats is the maximum motor current?

Datasheet says they are rated to 2.1A rms with a max of 6A instantaneous. It's a 7i39H.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds