Mesa 7i43 + 7i39 firmware

More
22 Mar 2013 04:41 #31693 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa 7i43 + 7i39 firmware
Thats probably OK as long as you are watching for smoke from the motor!

If you are running with out a working PID loop you are probably
running the motors like step motors and they will get warm.

When running as BLDC, they should have almost
0 idle current if they are not supplying torque

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2013 05:26 #31696 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Mesa 7i43 + 7i39 firmware

I'm testing with a free running hal configuration now, playing with the bldc comp frequency to see some action. Motor is turning smoothly but gets rather warm with a small current,

It will run hot in that mode, as it is being used as a low pole-count stepper motor.

To run it "properly" load the bldc component in "q" mode, then connect up the encoder and link the bldc "rawcounts" pin. Set the pole count parameter correctly in bldc, then you should be able to set the bldc "init" pin. That should cause the motor to rock the shaft back-and-forth and then you should find that setting the current makes the motor spin. Higher current, faster rotation. It should run very much cooler that way.

More
23 Mar 2013 06:26 #31748 by kostas
Replied by kostas on topic Mesa 7i43 + 7i39 firmware
I tested this and does the job as advertised. How do I find the number of poles? increasing the bldc.0.value to 0.1 makes the shaft vibrate instead of rotate. I tested with different poles numbers (2,4,6,8) with no useful result. I'm powering the motor with a much lower voltage than 24V now, but this voltage is enough to rotate in free running, so I guess it's ok for the moment.

More
23 Mar 2013 06:52 #31749 by andypugh

I tested this and does the job as advertised. How do I find the number of poles? increasing the bldc.0.value to 0.1 makes the shaft vibrate instead of rotate. I tested with different poles numbers (2,4,6,8) with no useful result. I'm powering the motor with a much lower voltage than 24V now, but this voltage is enough to rotate in free running, so I guess it's ok for the moment.

If you apply a very small current to the motor (in the mode you had earlier, and frequency set to zero) you can twist the shaft by hand and count. A 2-pole motor will be 1 detente per rev, 4 will be 2, 6 will be three. Count the detentes and double it. 2 pole motors are vanishingly rare.

A typical problem (50% of the time) is that the encoder and the motor run in different directions. make the bldc scale negative to fix that.

More
23 Mar 2013 08:06 #31751 by kostas
Nice. Problem was the scale was way off and I didn't change that, should be 8192 instead of the default 512. Motor's 6 pole.
Runs smooth and silent now. I'l make a pid loop to test positioning tomorrow. Thanks!

More
23 Mar 2013 08:12 #31752 by andypugh

Runs smooth and silent now. I'l make a pid loop to test positioning tomorrow.

That's great. "bldc" is such a complicated component with so many combinations that I am always a little surprised when it works.
There was no way at all that I could test the full set of options with the hardware I have, so I am always aware that some features might need work.

I have tested encoder-only and 7i39 though, so that is something I expect to work, generally.

More
23 Mar 2013 08:27 #31753 by kostas
I guess I'm a little lucky then! Have these motors for over a year in my drawer and didn't know if they would work.
I'm a little excited now, although I'm afraid I'll have to build more 3phase bridges myself and that is not my specialty :)

Is there any reason I should use the index for homing or am I ok with just the encoders?

More
23 Mar 2013 08:39 #31754 by andypugh

Is there any reason I should use the index for homing or am I ok with just the encoders?

Using index is better in some ways (ie, "qi" not "q" mode in the bldc config string) but you need to know where the index is relative to the motor phases.

q is the simplest mode, it will generally just work if the other, easy, stuff is correct. It isn't very good at aligning the motor under load. (It will generally not do very well in a heavy Z axis).
qi mode will rotate the motor in one direction until it sees the index. This is ideal if there is room to move the motor one full turn, and if you know where the index is (in encoder counts) from the motor "zero"
"bldc" considers the motor "zero" to be where the motor sits with the U phase at +volts, and V and W at -volts. This is often the index, so a 0 in bldc.N.encoder-offset is correct. But this relies on you having the encoder A and B wired the same way (2 options, 4 with differential encoders) and the motor phases the same as the manufacturer (3 options).

It is possible to measure the index position. It would even be possible for the bldc component to do it. I do have ideas for a "learn" mode where bldc is given a bare, unloaded, motor and tells you the pole count, encoder scale, offsets etc.

Maybe one day.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds