What else is needed for pneumatic chuck and tail?

More
14 May 2013 10:53 #34042 by Zahnrad Kopf
Assuming that one has the cards for motion control, what else is needed for controlling a pneumatic chuck and tail stock?
I'm thinking that there's going ot have to be some relays involved and possibly even some kind of switch ( prox sensor? ) for each side of operation. ( open/close and forward/rearward)

Would there need be other cards as well? Or could this be controlled right from the parallel port somehow?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2013 14:26 - 14 May 2013 15:43 #34049 by ArcEye
Depends entirely on the setup, could be largely relays and proximity switches.

My lathe with pneumatic chuck and parts catcher had air rams working off solenoids which defaulted to the chuck closed and parts catcher retracted position.
You had to operate a relay to open the chuck and move the parts catcher in.

It was originally a Fanuc control, but I ran it for a while on Linuxcnc from user M codes, when you got to the parting off operation, the parts catcher moved across.
Once the tool retracted the parts catcher was retracted too.
The chuck then opened and the bar feed moved forward by whatever length was set and the chuck closed and off you went again.

There was a whole separate box of solenoids, relays etc just for those items, but the interface was just a few signal wires, with some others for logic feedback.

regards
Last edit: 14 May 2013 15:43 by ArcEye.

More
14 May 2013 17:27 #34057 by Zahnrad Kopf

Depends entirely on the setup, could be largely relays and proximity switches.

My lathe with pneumatic chuck and parts catcher had air rams working off solenoids which defaulted to the chuck closed and parts catcher retracted position.
You had to operate a relay to open the chuck and move the parts catcher in.

It was originally a Fanuc control, but I ran it for a while on Linuxcnc from user M codes, when you got to the parting off operation, the parts catcher moved across.
Once the tool retracted the parts catcher was retracted too.
The chuck then opened and the bar feed moved forward by whatever length was set and the chuck closed and off you went again.

There was a whole separate box of solenoids, relays etc just for those items, but the interface was just a few signal wires, with some others for logic feedback.

regards

Thank you for the response. Yes, this sounds exactly like what I will be dealing with.
I've settled on Mesa cards, but have not ordered them yet. Likely will do so in the next week.
It's an Emco 220P, and has the same as you describe. Pneumatic chuck, tail stock ram, and parts catcher.
I like your method of retracting the parts catcher once the cut off tool retracts.

So does the signal for operating these come from the parallel port, or from somewhere on the Mesa cards?
I will double check, but believe that the solenoids for their operation are 24VDC at the moment, so that keeps things tidy...

Thanks.

More
14 May 2013 19:21 #34074 by andypugh

Thank you for the response. Yes, this sounds exactly like what I will be dealing with.
I've settled on Mesa cards, but have not ordered them yet. Likely will do so in the next week.

So does the signal for operating these come from the parallel port, or from somewhere on the Mesa cards?
I will double check, but believe that the solenoids for their operation are 24VDC at the moment, so that keeps things tidy....

You use the Mesa cards. Depending on which cards you have you may be able to control the solenoid valves directly from the Mesa card. I have a 7i64 and that is wired direct to 24V and the solenoid.
In fact, looking at docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdoc...0900766b80dedbc9.pdf it seems that some valves consume less current than an LED, so there is a very good chance that the Mesa GPIO is adequate. It is probably worth checking with a 24V PSU and an ammeter to see what current your particular valves consume. it may be less than a relay would...

More
14 May 2013 20:08 #34081 by Zahnrad Kopf
Wonderful idea, there. Hadn't occurred to me to replace the original solenoids with that style. ... And it SHOULD have, because I'm familiar with them from my WEDM... Thank you. I will ask Peter about specific card recommendations as soon as I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds