3 axis mill hardware setup

More
05 Jun 2013 20:46 #35282 by mort
I am in the process of converting a manual Bridgeport mill to cnc. It will be using 3 brushless 3 phase dc motors with TTL encoders. So far based on my research in these forums, I have determined that I need at least the 5I25, 7I85, 7I84, and 3x 8I20 drives. I would also like to control the spindle with a VFD and add a 4th axis at a later date. Should this cover everything as far as control hardware goes?

Also, what benefit if any would there be with going with the 5I23, 5I22, or 5I20 cards?

I wanted to make sure this setup sounds correct before purchasing anything. Thanks for any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2013 06:00 #35300 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 3 axis mill hardware setup

I am in the process of converting a manual Bridgeport mill to cnc. It will be using 3 brushless 3 phase dc motors with TTL encoders.

Do the motors have Hall-sensors, or are the encoders the 6-channel type?

So far based on my research in these forums, I have determined that I need at least the 5I25, 7I85, 7I84, and 3x 8I20 drives. I would also like to control the spindle with a VFD and add a 4th axis at a later date. Should this cover everything as far as control hardware goes?

You probably just didn't mention it, but the 8i20 needs at last 50V.
I can't help feeling that Mesa should consider making a 6pin-Phoenix to RJ45 adaptor board to simplify wiring smart-serial devices. That does rather assume the existence of a PCB-mounted plug of that type though.

Also, what benefit if any would there be with going with the 5I23, 5I22, or 5I20 cards?

No real advantage, unless the available cards suit your requirements better. My similar conversion is using the 5i23 because I needed the Resolver daughter board (and, also, I started the conversion before the 5i25 was launched)
Note that it is relatively easy to control certain VFDs with Modbus and the serial port or ethernet. (Or a USB to RS485 converter)

More
06 Jun 2013 06:42 #35304 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 3 axis mill hardware setup
For 7I85 --> 8I20 wiring, a cat 5 cable with 8 pin 3.5 mm Phoenix type
connector on one end and RJ45 plug on the other is used.
We can supply these or they can be made by cutting a standard network
cable in 1/2 and terminating the wires (preferably with ferrules)
in a Phoenix type 3.5 mm plug

More
06 Jun 2013 07:17 #35312 by mort
Replied by mort on topic 3 axis mill hardware setup
Yes the motors have hall feedback sensors. The encoders are Heidenhain Rod encoders. The motors are 100 vdc- I already have separate power supplies as well. Thanks for the help.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds