[SOLVED] Enable axis in LinuxCNC

More
15 Aug 2013 03:53 - 15 Aug 2013 06:00 #37680 by abrambleninja
I'm trying to configure LinuxCNC for a driver board I bought on Amazon. Here's the datasheet in PDF form, from their official website.

I'm trying to have pin 8 enable the Y axis, pin 9 enable the Z axis, and 14 enable the X axis, per the datasheet, page 8. I google'd around, and eventually came across this post, which had the same question as me. However, the link that BigJohnT posted is now a 404. ToshiroTamigi had a solution, though, and it was to add something to the custom.hal. So, I added
net yenable => parport.0.pin-08-out
net zenable => parport.0.pin-09-out
net xenable => parport.0.pin-14-out
to my custom.hal, and LinuxCNC started fine. However, whenever I tried manual control (haven't configured enough for automatic control), the motors wouldn't work at all.

Before this, I had used an ugly fix (that I discovered by accident) where I could have pins 8, 9, and 14 enable by setting them to "Spindle Enable" in stepconf. Then, when I went to manual control, I would turn on the spindle, and then could move the motors. However, I decided that this wouldn't do, for a few reasons:
1) It wastes energy having all motors on even when only one is moving
2) It's not how it's supposed to work, and I don't know if it's possible to manually start the spindle when it's running a program.
3) I have no idea what a spindle is for, and I don't want to mess anything up.

I can post any/all of my configuration files for LinuxCNC if needed. I didn't do it for this post because my other computer (the one that's controlling the CNC) isn't hooked up to the Internet, so I'd have to retype them or something. I didn't want to do this unless it was necessary.

So, ultimately, my question is how can I get LinuxCNC to turn on pins 14, 8, and 9 before starting to move X, Y, and Z?

Thanks!
Last edit: 15 Aug 2013 06:00 by abrambleninja.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2013 06:00 - 15 Aug 2013 07:20 #37683 by abrambleninja
I am dumb. My parallel port wasn't in all the way. The custom.hal fix that I mentioned in the OP worked.

EDIT: Can a moderator close this issue please?
Last edit: 15 Aug 2013 07:20 by abrambleninja.

More
15 Aug 2013 17:42 #37698 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Enable axis in LinuxCNC
It might help someone in the future...

JT

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds