Mesa 5i20 + steppers + encoders

More
27 Aug 2013 21:40 #38154 by moto233racer
Feel like this is a stupid question but I haven't found it explicitly spelled out...

Can I use a mesa 5i20 with stepper motors in a closed loop in LinuxCNC?

Based on what I've read it seems like it should work, but I wasn't sure if the feedback options in PNCconf are only available with servos...

Thank you in advance!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2013 00:08 #38160 by andypugh

Can I use a mesa 5i20 with stepper motors in a closed loop in LinuxCNC?

Possibly. It depends on what loop you want to close, and how you plan on closing it.
The issue with steppers is that "more" can only be interpreted as a faster step rate, and that tends to reduce torque, making things worse rather than better.

Based on what I've read it seems like it should work, but I wasn't sure if the feedback options in PNCconf are only available with servos.

There are lots of things that you can do in LinuxCNC that PNCConf doesn't support.
But if you were to create a servo config (or start with the demo servo config) then change the pwmgens to velocity-mode stepgens (by hand, with a text editor) then you would be close.

More
29 Aug 2013 11:37 - 29 Aug 2013 11:38 #38201 by tenaja
Yes, I am doing it, however, it is not thoroughly closed loop. I use the encoder to detect stalls, and that is it, so there is no error or stall compensation--just an error for now--and it works fine for that.

With a high voltage power supply, the system makes for a reasonable balance between speed and power when a servo is too expensive.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2013 11:38 by tenaja.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds