TB6560 hub over-current

More
26 Sep 2013 06:58 #39199 by pietvr
Hi

I could not find any discussion around the following I am experiencing with the 4 axis blue TB6560 chinese controller boards.

Sometimes when I switch on my 4 axis controller while the Ubuntu is running, Ubuntu hangs. I found in the /var/log/syslog that Ubuntu logs the following when the crash happens.

hub 2-0:1.0: over-current change on port 1
hub 2-0:1.0: over-current change on port 2

As I say Ubuntu does not always hang or crash when switching on the controller. If I switch the controller on before I boot the computer, it runs the whole day with out any glitches and then again, not always, but also the same thing if I switch the controller of before turning off Ubuntu, the computer hangs with the same entries in the syslog file.

Has anyone else experienced this with the TB6560 controllers and maybe found a work around on Ubuntu. I have search Ubuntu forums but no luck so far with a work around or fix.

Regards

Piet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2013 07:23 #39200 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic TB6560 hub over-current
Dont know about Ubuntu crashing but a USB overcurrent event
is an electrical problem, probably best solved by fixing your hardware.
It may be that you are better off not powering the 4 axis board
via a USB cable (if that is whats triggering the USB over-current)

More
26 Sep 2013 16:48 #39207 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic TB6560 hub over-current
Change from using the USB to a seperate 5v supply should solve your problem
this is far safer than using USB to power the controller

you could supply power from the pc power supply as an alternative option , although a seperate supply is preferable
USB specifications limit the current available on USB connectors , hence the warning .

More
27 Sep 2013 02:11 #39237 by pietvr
Replied by pietvr on topic TB6560 hub over-current
Hi, thanks for the replies.

The controller is not connected to USB, only via the parallel cable. It has it's own power supply and is switched on manually with a toggle switch, only my keyboard and mouse are connected to the usb ports. The mains power for my spindle, computer and controller's power supply is shared though with an multi plug adaptor and the spindle's supply goes through an EMI filter.

I know this is not a LinuxCNC problem as it is not always running at the time it happens but must be an Ubuntu problem as windows, on the same machine operates perfectly. I have it setup for dual booting.

I was hoping that someone here may have a solution as Ubuntu's forums has no solutions thus far and as for searching Google and Bing, none found thus far either.

It is a rather puzzling.

Piet

More
27 Sep 2013 03:27 #39243 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic TB6560 hub over-current
ok , i would hazzard a guess you have an earth loop or some intermittent mains or adapter , move the pc to another direct socket rather than the shared plugs
multi plug adapters are not good news . also any bad connections or earth from your spindle can be problematic

are these wired keyboard and mouse or wireless ?

also try disconnecting your spindle and run your machine through a program and see if the problem goes away etc ,
and try and not use multiplug adapters .. and see if the problem goes away

More
27 Sep 2013 06:55 #39250 by pietvr
Replied by pietvr on topic TB6560 hub over-current
I have sorted the problem. I am running the mains supply to the controller's power supply through the same EMI filter as the spindle's VFD supply and no more freezing and crashing.

Cheers

Piet

More
29 Sep 2013 13:29 #39341 by jpka
Replied by jpka on topic TB6560 hub over-current
Hi! I also use blue chinese 4-axis tb6560 board. I do not see similar issues. While you already solve the problem, i think it is still good to check that:
-You do not have switch at 24V lines, Only switches allowed at mains wires.
-Power supplies have NTC resistor inside (round black part near AC inlet, approx. 1/2" in diameter). When no NTC, connection of mains cord often sparky.
-Keyboard/mouse and their wires are far away from high current networks.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds