Is the 5i25 going to have an impact w/my system?

More
21 Dec 2013 01:40 #41877 by scotti
I ran the liveCD latency test on my newer pc last night and was pleasantly surprised to see < 3000 for both jitter #s. I mostly use this machine for CAD and as a secondary PC at the house, but it seems like a good candidate for a linuxcnc box.

After doing some searches on this forum, it seems that the 5i25 only impacts the base thread. Correct?

Since my latency #'s are pretty low to start with.. is there any reason to get the 5i25? It think I read someone on here saying that the 5i25 would smooth things out. At 89 bucks it seems like I should give it a try.

I'm collecting parts for a new build... here is my current machine pc => cnc4pc BoB => gecko 320s => small servos

New router: pc => dmm tech bob board => dmm tech ac servo drivers => dmm tech ac servo motors. + chinese spindle.

By loading the right firmware the 5i25 does hardware step generation for the base thread? How does this differ from the 7i76 card? Am I incorrectly equating "5i25 hardware step generation" with "7i76 step/dir generation" ?
Getting the 7i76 would also take of the spindle control, even thought the dmm tech bob also has spindle input/output.

the config would look something like this
pc => 5i25/7i76 => step/dir to dmm Bob board => servo drivers => servo motors. Since both the 5i25 and dmm bob take a par port cable, it would seem the dmm BoB isn't going to be used.

Thanks
Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2013 02:05 #41880 by PCW
Whether or not a 5I25 will make much difference
depends on what step rates you need and your current latency

The stepgens are in the 5I25, the 7I76 is basically just a
BOB with expanded 24V I/O for switches, relays etc

When a 5I25 is used, no basethread is used in the configuration, only a servo thread
the basethread is effectively the hardware clock of the 5I25 (33.3MHz)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds