DB9 cable extensions on Gecko540 board

More
22 Dec 2013 10:36 #41919 by Selvaswami
I've got a brand new CNC router from DigitalWoodCarver.com, which uses a Gecko540 board feeding X, Y, Z and A axes through DB9 cables.

And in my cramped shop setup the DB9 cables are really inconveniently short. Naturally my first thought is to go get some 3 foot DB9 extension cables, but that's only a solution if standard DB9 wiring is what Gecko uses.

Gecko, Inc. is on vacation until January 2, so no answer is available there.

Does anyone have advice on this for a newbie?

Thanks,

Selvaswami

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2013 18:35 #41925 by ArcEye

Naturally my first thought is to go get some 3 foot DB9 extension cables, but that's only a solution if standard DB9 wiring is what Gecko uses.

Can't see any reason why they would change anything about the cable, they control what pins connect to what on the board.

Another, longer cable should be fine, I used about 10ft of cable on a run to a machine with a dedicated controller when using a DNC drip, without any problems.

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: Selvaswami

More
22 Dec 2013 23:31 - 22 Dec 2013 23:31 #41928 by PCW
G540's use DB9s for step motor connections so you want fairly heavy wire on the step motor wires (the DB9 connectors also have the current setting resistor pins)

I notice that lots of low cost G540 cable sets are available on EBAY so that may be a good source if you don't want to assemble them by hand.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2013 23:31 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Selvaswami

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds