Are these L297 chips fake?

More
25 Jan 2014 09:57 #43145 by mwe
Can any of you guys confirm , deny, suspect, these chips are real ST items or knockoffs? The two in the center I am sure are the real deal.
They are the last of a stick that has been knocking around my bench for years. But the 10 down the sides are some I got in a few days ago from a Hong Kong vendor
(yea I know). What bugs me is the dates are close, in the same year. If I am reading the dates right the 10 may be marked before the two date wise.
The two have stamped labels and the 10 have what looks to me laser etched labels. That seems strange to me. They also have enough shape and size
differences to suggest they came from different foundries. I don't know if they are really functional yet or not. :unsure:
Please opine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2014 23:24 #43158 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Are these L297 chips fake?
Hi

AFAI can tell, ST used to stamp Malaysia on its chips and moved to MYS later

I don't know which code you are refering to regards date, if it is anything to do with the '99', that seems to appear on every L297 I have seen a picture of, so I guess that is some sort of product code not year.

The bottom line is test them, people who will put melamine in baby milk to make it whiter, will do anything for money, appearence is no help deciding, they will have copied good chips.

regards

More
26 Jan 2014 06:34 #43173 by mwe
Replied by mwe on topic Are these L297 chips fake?
I perused ST's nomenclature PDF (which admittedly I should have done already). The 99 is the location where the chip was tested in this case also Malaysia. The country of origin is also Malaysia, later shortened as you pointed out to MYS. The So the 307 on the two chips is the 7th week of 1993 knowing when roughly I acquired them. The 029 is then logically 29th week of 2000 or 2010. I''ll come back and speal when I test them.
Thanks,
mark

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds