Delta Tau Controller

More
11 Feb 2014 19:59 - 11 Feb 2014 20:00 #43748 by gww250
Delta Tau Controller was created by gww250
Is anybody familiar with this product. This is what we're considering for our Laser conversion project.

I guess the link did not show :http://www.deltatau.com/DT_PowerPMAC/PowerPMACHome.aspx
Last edit: 11 Feb 2014 20:00 by gww250. Reason: link not showing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2014 00:53 #43762 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Delta Tau Controller
The Delta Tau is an expensive DSP motion control board, which was a great way
to go when PCs were very slow, and real time threads were not easy to
obtain on normal OS's. Now, those limitations are no longer true, and
so there is much less need for boards like the Delta Tau.

Mesa and Pico Systems (my company) make motion control interfaces
that bring the real time capablity of the PC out to simpler motion
control interfaces.

While the original EMC from NIST did support the Delta Tau back in 1995
or so, there is no driver for Delta Tau boards in the current LinuxCNC.

Jon

More
12 Feb 2014 01:30 #43765 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Delta Tau Controller
That looks like nice hardware but I suspect its a project to get it to run LinuxCNC.
It _is_ running RT linux (xenomai) but you would probably have to write drivers for
any special Delta Tau I/O hardware.

(you might ask Delta Tau if there's any chance of linuxcnc support , in my experience they are smart and friendly)

More
12 Feb 2014 03:25 #43774 by JR1050
Replied by JR1050 on topic Delta Tau Controller
I used to do some delta tau. Their motion boards work well, but they and all their accesories are not cheap. DT has software for cnc but it is not easy to.work with at all, as it runs in windows. If you are interested in the pmac, you would be better off with their NC software, as trying to get Emc to work with the pmac will be a waste of.effort. The pmac uses its own native laugage, the software just send commands to its shares ram.area.

I have several 4 axis isa pmacs and one pci along with several of the accesory boards that I will sell cheap. Setting it up will be an exercise in aggrivation though. There are two.guys at DT who really know the cnc side of this , Steve Milici and Vince. They are nice guys. If you are hell bent on a DT system, the advantage 4000 is probably your best bet, its as close to bolt on as it comes. DT uses a basic like laugauge for plc and dealing with all.the header files, variables and pointers will turn.you into a serial killer!! For a laser, you could easily set up a Emc system.quickly and you would have the support of the forum.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.318 seconds