Amplifier to match Huge servo motor on knee?

More
16 Apr 2014 17:56 #45980 by greeder88
First I have to say everything is working so good so far I can't get over it. The help I'm getting is fantastic. I might have to wear one of those graduation hats when I finish this.
Back to the task at hand.
I have a huge Cleveland Motion Control motor on my knee. The milling machine.
They never say what the max amp or volt ratings are on CMC servo motors for some reason.
To make things harder this is a PM Field Servo motor.
It has a gearbox, tach, and encoder on the gearbox shaft.
I did a test and at 2,000 rpm (Max for Field Servos) I used 60vdc.
My power supply is 140vdc.
Should I buy an amplifier with 140vdc input and remember to keep my feed rate down to limit voltage to 60vdc or buy a low voltage power supply and amp?
Being on the knee it will never get that much load (Air Assisted Knee) so maybe I can get away with just about anything?
Thanks again for all your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2014 23:06 #45989 by jmelson

First I have to say everything is working so good so far I can't get over it. The help I'm getting is fantastic. I might have to wear one of those graduation hats when I finish this.
Back to the task at hand.
I have a huge Cleveland Motion Control motor on my knee. The milling machine.
They never say what the max amp or volt ratings are on CMC servo motors for some reason.
To make things harder this is a PM Field Servo motor.
It has a gearbox, tach, and encoder on the gearbox shaft.
I did a test and at 2,000 rpm (Max for Field Servos) I used 60vdc.
My power supply is 140vdc.
Should I buy an amplifier with 140vdc input and remember to keep my feed rate down to limit voltage to 60vdc or buy a low voltage power supply and amp?
Being on the knee it will never get that much load (Air Assisted Knee) so maybe I can get away with just about anything?
Thanks again for all your help.

Your servo amps must be able to handle the DC supply voltage. Don't worry about the motor,
the servo amp will control the voltage to the motor.

Jon

More
18 Apr 2014 15:46 #46069 by emcPT
Measure the amperage to the motor. Normally drives are more limited to amp's than voltage.
There are many drives that can handle up to 10A without being to much expensive.

More
18 Apr 2014 17:03 #46072 by greeder88
Do I have to load the motor somehow to see the real amps the motor uses or is there some extrapolation % I can just add to the motor with no load?
I just watched a web video showing how to do it and when the guy squeezed the drill it looks like the amps almost doubled.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.531 seconds