funuc axis drivers and signals

More
01 Dec 2014 12:45 #53559 by fendrrex
Hello guys I'm new to the forums I joined because of this form. fanuc servo drive integration
And wanted to the same for my boards listed below. So lets dive in to this!
Okay so my friend has a old funuc that he told me he is go to toss if i cant get running (iv put months in to fixing to find the controller is crap (OM)).
The axis and spindle drivers still work....
My goal
apparently i am looking for is called the NC Controller to Amplifier Interface documentation as refereed to as in the link above.
meaning
I wish to find /create domination for the funuc control boards listed below "both signals/pin configuration and voltage(logic) levels" above so ii can control the steppers the respective driver boards listed below with a beagle-bone black or other open source controller like an arduino.

board INFO

4th and 5 axis
controllers
both the same

top board A20B-1100-0330/07b
bottom A20B-1003-014/002a

1.2,3 axis
one board
top A20B-1100-0330/04B
bottom A20B-1003-0864/01a

spindle
Top A20B-0008-003/03A
middle A20B-1003-0010/158

Request
can someone with a oscilloscope map out pins or point me in the right direction to find this information?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2014 14:48 #53565 by fendrrex
A update "focused on those needing help"
Ok so tracing back to the first link I posted I edited the URL and it redirected me to this page that ill refer to as GE support documentation
I found this PDF by entering my board number and selecting Motion Solutions for Product Family the PDF will be attached to this post just for redundancy

Still to do "me asking for help"
I admit I'm no electrical engineer on page 72 of the linked PDF I found a table of pins and what they are for. My understanding is upsetting me and ill have a word with some of my colleagues when i can but ill have my nose deep in the PDF for a Bit
A side note
Correct me if I am wrong as I don't normally use any kind of forms;
Warning: Spoiler!
Attachments:

More
03 Dec 2014 05:49 #53618 by andypugh

[
I admit I'm no electrical engineer on page 72 of the linked PDF I found a table of pins and what they are for.

Which page? (ie, what is the number at the bottom of the page, rather than the page as-rendered by the viewing software)

More
04 Dec 2014 07:06 - 04 Dec 2014 07:06 #53662 by jCandlish
I am sorry to say that you are faced with a difficult task indeed. I do not think anyone has made much progress in communicating with a FANUC spindle motor. The spindle amp is more complicated than the servo amps.

Good luck!

Last edit: 04 Dec 2014 07:06 by jCandlish.

More
04 Dec 2014 07:27 #53664 by andypugh

I do not think anyone has made much progress in communicating with a FANUC spindle motor.

Depending on the motor it might not be all that hard. I know of one person who has run a Fanuc motor with a generic AMC brushless motor drive and the parallel port.
Both Pico and Mesa have interfaces for the AA64 absolute encoders.

More
04 Dec 2014 07:45 #53666 by jCandlish

I know of one person who has run a Fanuc motor with a generic AMC brushless motor drive

My goal would be to run the spindle motor from the existing FANUC spindle amplifier.

More
04 Dec 2014 08:07 #53668 by andypugh

My goal would be to run the spindle motor from the existing FANUC spindle amplifier.

So, again I ask, what is the number at the bottom of page "72"?

I don't see a pinout on the page with "72" at the bottom.

More
04 Dec 2014 10:38 #53672 by jmelson

I do not think anyone has made much progress in communicating with a FANUC spindle motor.

Depending on the motor it might not be all that hard. I know of one person who has run a Fanuc motor with a generic AMC brushless motor drive and the parallel port.
Both Pico and Mesa have interfaces for the AA64 absolute encoders.

But, those encoders are used on AXIS motors. The SPINDLE motors seem to have a much
simpler encoder, it seems that it may only produce Hall signals or similar info.
The reason is that at the high spindle motor speed, the serial pulse coders would
be too far behind on the position for good commutation.

But, I have never been able to get much info at ALL on the spindle encoder signals.

Jon

More
04 Dec 2014 15:31 - 04 Dec 2014 15:53 #53679 by jCandlish
There are 3 proprietary communication protocols used in the FANUC A20B series controls.

The signal interface to the servo motor controller is pretty well understood, and is covered in this thread --> linuxcnc.org/hardy/lucid/index.php/frenc...mit=6&start=30#23687

What remains unknown are the PMC <==> Spindle amp protocol and the FANUC i/o link protocol.

Once these two protocols are reverse engineered it will be possible to replace FANUC's shitty old PMC with something modern, powerful and open while still retaining their excellent motors and amplifiers.

I have many times dreamed of a prototype board with the required honda connectors and break-out pads... Something plug compatible with the Series-18 would be a good reversing tool.
Last edit: 04 Dec 2014 15:53 by jCandlish.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds