AMC BE25A20->Mesa 7I77 - Torque vs Tach mode

More
10 Jan 2015 10:26 - 10 Jan 2015 10:27 #54852 by accuartisans
Laying out my wiring for the mill machine I am retrofitting with AMC BE25A20 drives to Mesa 7I77<->7I80DB. I think this all correct but the main thing I am unsure of whether or not to use Current(Torque) mode and due without the tach or use Tachometer Velocity mode. From reading the AMC documentation it appears that tach velocity mode maybe more accurate with a caveat "However, they also may be susceptible to electrical
noise, most notably at low speeds". The other question is which mode is easier to tune and reliably?

Also, I seem to remember when I had the drives in test mode I checked the tach output lines from the servo and the voltage would go plus or minus depending on the direction of the motor. So, how does one determine the correct connections to the drive? Or does it matter until you see the motion of the axes when assembled? Any help on clarifying this would be great and do you see any concerns with my diagram?

Thanks,
KM
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jan 2015 10:27 by accuartisans. Reason: Added PDF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2015 11:19 #54853 by PCW
1. Velocity mode is easier to tune and doesn't requires a high thread rate so I would chose that mode if your motors have tachometers
2. The tachometers will only work in one direction, if they are connected backwards, the motor will run away and be uncontrollable
The following user(s) said Thank You: accuartisans

More
10 Jan 2015 11:25 #54854 by accuartisans
Thanks, I need to re-check the tach output again then to refresh my memory! And label the wires this time:)

More
10 Jan 2015 17:36 #54855 by andypugh

Thanks, I need to re-check the tach output again then to refresh my memory

I think that, pragmatically, the point is to swap the wires if the motor runs away :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: accuartisans

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds