Confused about servo drives

More
17 Mar 2015 23:12 #56951 by andypugh

I thought about it. I'm pretty sure I understand the theory well enough, but everything I ran into online was people flipping out about not using an isolation transformer. :) It seems I'd need a 1:1(or thereabouts) transformer able to handle up to 3x10A at 220V or so. I could downgrade a little since all axes shouldn't be going full tilt all at the same time I guess.

A 350VDC short-to-earth does get very sparky and melty very quickly, and would not hurt for very long. So an isolation transformer makes a lot of sense. I might even add one.

In the UK we use these on building sites: www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-3-KVA-Site-Transf...ade-Uk-/150420255240
And they are very cheap. However I don't really want to drop the voltage. If they use 1:1 ratio ones in the US then it might be very easy to isolate your power lines.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2015 09:20 #57138 by joshua.stephens
I wanted to come back and thank everyone for the help. I set up a 7i77 and an argon and fed the encoder to both and it seemed to work pretty well. I'm not sure it works THAT much better than the argon without the encoder feed, but it can't hurt!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds