Kernel uspace and Mesa Ethernet boards

More
28 May 2015 04:11 - 28 May 2015 04:12 #59129 by bernie_nor
Hello all,

I've been reading up on uspace and ethernet boards from Mesa.

From what I've read I made the following asumptions:
  1. In order to run a machine with a mesa ethernet board (in my case the 7i76e and the 7i92) I need to compile a version for uspace. (That beeing linuxcnc 2.7 or newer)
  2. In order to run this correctly I need another kernel than the RTAI kernal shipped on the CD.

I'm fairly shure about the first assumption, but not the last. If I'm right, where can I get the correct kernel? I have not compiled a linux kernel since 1999, I'm a bit rusty...

A bit of background for the questions. In my workshop I have three machines. A ZX-45 mill, A Colne 5 CNC lathe and a home build foam cutter. I'd like to run all three on LinuxCNC. The mill and the foamcutter runs Linuxcnc today, but I'd like to upgrade both to the ethernet boards. And for the lathe I will need to add some ekstra VHDL code to interface the existing hardware. This is not a big task, and should be hard enough to get my VHDL skills back up to a "usable" level. I realy like the idea of interfacing using ethernet. Galvanic isolation, no problem with "long" cable runs. Cheap and simple cabling and so on. The alternative would have been a couple of 5i25s or 6i25s. But that is just to mainstream :)

Cheers!
Bernie
Last edit: 28 May 2015 04:12 by bernie_nor. Reason: typo in the subject...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2015 06:29 #59138 by andypugh

• In order to run a machine with a mesa ethernet board (in my case the 7i76e and the 7i92) I need to compile a version for uspace. (That beeing linuxcnc 2.7 or newer)

• You can actually get this from the buildbot as a precompiled binary
    buildbot.linuxcnc.org
    See the Wheezy rt-preempt option. it looks like you need 64-bit Wheezy.

• In order to run this correctly I need another kernel than the RTAI kernal shipped on the CD.
  • Yes, and I don't know where to get it either.
    (google)
    It seems that it might not be that difficult:
    sudo apt-get install linux-image-rt-amd64

Work out how to bring up the grub menu at boot first, just in case your system won't run on that kernel.

More
    08 Jun 2015 09:29 #59615 by pmcstoneinc
    Note: make sure to install with sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-uspace

Moderators: PCWjmelson
    Time to create page: 0.102 seconds