open source hardware driver boards

More
19 Jun 2015 04:07 #59965 by jtc
Hi.

Since linuxcnc is a open source project, for me makes all the sense that should be a open source hardware driver board capable of interface it to the machine side.

For industrial applications and functionality, the old parallel port isn't enough...

So, what I was thinking is a driver capable of I/O, encoders input and analog or step/dir outputs (done by hardware).

One of the big question here, is how to interface it with linuxcnc (drivers) and how to implement it on PCI bus, or maybe Ethernet?

If anyone has knowledge of how to start something like that, please leave a comment.

João

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2015 05:14 #59970 by tommylight
I am all for your idea, and i was thinking about it when i started using and building cnc's more often about 7-8 years ago, but the price of parts and the time required and the troubleshooting of problems etc. etc. was way beyond the price of ready made systems.
I would love to be able to use the MESA cards since they are versatile and very reliable, but atm i can not buy them where i live and i do not have valid credit cards anymore, so i am scr......d for the time being. With that said, if anyone has a sudden urge to send me a say 5i25 or 6i25, god forbid being attached to a 7ixx, i would not complain at all !!! :)

The price of MESA cards is so low that it is insignificant on the price of the machine. 89$ for 5i25 is a very low price for what it can do !!! 34 I/O ports that you can configure to your hearts desire and capable of MHz impulse rates gives a lot of possibilities.
Tom

More
19 Jun 2015 07:19 #59972 by andypugh
There is a chap in Bulgaria making his own Mesa-card clones, using the Mesa firmware (which is open-source).

It would probably cost more to make your own OS boards than to buy a Mesa board, though it might well not be about cost

More
19 Jun 2015 17:37 #59981 by emcPT
Who is? Any forum user?

More
20 Jun 2015 03:41 - 20 Jun 2015 03:43 #60006 by jtc
Mesa cards are great. Very well manufactured (I used several times). Didn't know that the firmware is open source, where can I find it, and it's documented?

I agree with the costs side, but should be alternatives to Mesa boards. I think that a complete open source hardware is the way to go.

João
Last edit: 20 Jun 2015 03:43 by jtc.

More
22 Jun 2015 02:09 #60041 by andypugh
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtc

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.826 seconds