Another new setup with mesa 5i25 / 7i76

More
15 Jul 2015 14:26 #60630 by Clive S
I have finally got my 5i25 / 7i76 cards to replace the PP. but I am unsure what the next step are. ie once the cards are installed What step do I take to get Linuxcnc to see the cards etc.

I have read the manuals on the two cards.

I installed from here www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/download 2.6 then updated with sudo apt and it brought it up to version 2.8.0
I am using a stepper based system.

Any help would be appreciated .. Clive

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2015 17:50 #60632 by andypugh
You should be able to start with the pncconf wizard from the CNC menu.

More
16 Jul 2015 14:47 #60647 by Clive S

You should be able to start with the pncconf wizard from the CNC menu.

Thanks for your help Andy. I now have read the pncconf wizard. I have installed the 5i25 card in the pc and the pncconf seems to recognize it.

My first question is the power supply to the 7i76. I notice in the manual Field-power-con TB1 pins 1,2,3,and 4 are power for the I/O etc do all these pins require power or just to one of them (plus pin 5 VIN for the chip) I will be using a 24V PS.

More
16 Jul 2015 20:12 #60652 by andypugh
Page 13 explains a bit, but perhaps not everything.
All the VFIELD pins are common, and depending on W1 VIN can also be commoned to them.

So, you only need to power any one of them with W1 in the default position for the board to work.

More
16 Jul 2015 20:57 - 16 Jul 2015 22:15 #60653 by Clive S
That's what I figured thanks for reassuring me.
OK I have been playing with the pncconf wizard and using the perams from my pp card on the mill setup ie steps per etc.

I don't seem to be able to access the axis config page places to insert the home_search_vel and home_latch_vel etc

I can access the positive_travel_distance tabs at the top though. Do you know what I might be missing?

I have not connected up the 7i76 BOB yet ..Clive

ps

I think I am getting confused with the tabs on the config page the tabs are config _i/o con 2 i/o con3 and 7i76 with some tabs relating ie TB5 and 6

I/o con 3 I think is for each axis

I/o con 2 is for general input and outputs but so is the TB tabs

Question is Do I setup the input and output through the TB tabs or the I/o con 2

Sorry if this is all a bit basic but the manuals are a bit vague as there are so many options
Last edit: 16 Jul 2015 22:15 by Clive S.

More
16 Jul 2015 22:56 #60656 by andypugh
(shamefaced look)
I haven't ever used Pncconf. All my configs were either written by hand or modifications of sample configs.

There is a manual for pncconf...www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/pncconf.html

More
16 Jul 2015 23:03 #60658 by Clive S

(shamefaced look)
I haven't ever used Pncconf. All my configs were either written by hand or modifications of sample configs.

There is a manual for pncconf...www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/pncconf.html

Thanks Andy I have read that manual but it's not clear.

It would be nice to get hold of a config for XYZ with steppers using the combi I have !!

I am waiting for a 24V ps to turn up before I connect the 7i76

More
16 Jul 2015 23:47 - 16 Jul 2015 23:47 #60659 by andypugh

Question is Do I setup the input and output through the TB tabs or the I/o con 2

Where are there step/dir functions available to connect to axes? I think you can only choose things in places where they exist to be used.
It isn't like a parport where any pin can be a step pin.
Last edit: 16 Jul 2015 23:47 by andypugh.

More
17 Jul 2015 00:00 #60660 by Clive S

It isn't like a parport where any pin can be a step pin

Yes I agree with that. One of the problems is the wizard uses the firmware SVST8_4 which uses a servo based system and different tabs etc.

I will have another play with it tomorrow I am working my way through this old thread www.cnczone.com/forums/linuxcnc-formerly...45914-mesa-5i25.html.

I am learning all the time though it will suddenly dawn on me

More
17 Jul 2015 00:16 #60661 by andypugh

One of the problems is the wizard uses the firmware SVST8_4 which uses a servo based system and different tabs etc.

That won't ever work.

You won't be able to make a working 5i25 config unless you select "5i25" in the very first screen of Pncconf.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds