lathe with 5i25 + 7i76 and gecko 203v drivers

More
09 Aug 2015 00:17 #61228 by CaspianCmonster
As if it isn't clear I am totally new to CNC and after far too long I finally have everything hooked up on my little lathe project but I can't get anything to jog yet. I presume it is a setup (software) issue but could use a sanity check of the wiring setup so I know where to focus. I have a spindle encoder ready to add and perhaps limit switches but figured I would start as simple as possible and then add complication. the jumpers on W1, W2 and W3 are all in the left hand position. the lights come on in the drives and on the board. so far I only have connected the step and direction wires from the 7i76 to each driver. these are the 3rd and 5th connection in the first two groups which I think should correspond to STEP+ and DIRECTION+ for each axis. The motors (4 wire 5 amp Gecko's) are wired in the order RED, BLUE, GREEN, BLACK. Any suggestions of where to start looking?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw2GHQMfolqtMVdHNndCZ0xoaHpBWEZtb1p0dU03OEM5SjJz

thanks

Luke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2015 01:44 - 09 Aug 2015 01:45 #61231 by PCW
That looks correct for the 203V since it has common cathode (Active high) step and
direction inputs.

The 203Vs common pin the for step/dir inputs should go to the 7I76 GND pins
Last edit: 09 Aug 2015 01:45 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CaspianCmonster

More
09 Aug 2015 02:25 #61232 by CaspianCmonster
Thanks PCW, I will add the ground/common wires and then figure out what I had done with the setup files.

Luke

More
10 Aug 2015 20:13 #61274 by andypugh

As if it isn't clear I am totally new to CNC and after far too long I finally have everything hooked up on my little lathe project but I can't get anything to jog yet.

Is it possibly as simple as not having the GUI out of e-stop and turned on?

(F1 then F2 in Axis)

More
11 Aug 2015 02:37 #61281 by CaspianCmonster
Thanks Andy, that is a perfectly valid suggestion although I have figured out that much anyway. (although I didn't know I could use F keys which is a nice thing to learn)

Now that I have added the ground wires to the drivers it will actually jog around which is cool. I guess I can try to get the encoder hooked up, tune the stepper drivers and also probably should add some stop switches but at least I am making progress.

Luke

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.472 seconds