jog works but no movement with program

More
16 Aug 2015 01:14 #61416 by Mike29
Hi,
Newbie here and I just completed assembling a x,y, z router cnc machine. I have LinuxCNC working on an old Pentium IV and can successfully get through a StepConf setup and to the AXIS interface. I can also manually jog all three axis, however when I try to run the (any) g code program only the Z axis responds, X and Y just sit there. The LEDs on the controller board are flashing correctly to the inputs from the parallel port but no axis movement and when I swap motor cables between axis the problem problem stays with the original output. In other words the z axis port can move the x and y axis if I move the motor cable to that output. Any suggestions other then a bad controller? The controller is using the TB6560 chip and there is one for each axis. There is no manufacturer identification other then the TB 6560 on the circuit board.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2015 03:11 #61421 by andypugh

I can also manually jog all three axis, however when I try to run the (any) g code program only the Z axis responds, X and Y just sit there. .

Do you mean that you can jog in Stepconf in the test, or that you can actually jog in the final machine config, but not run a program?

Are the stepper motors locked or free? (This indicates whether the drives are enabled).

What happens if you (temporarily) edit the HAL file to set the Z axis to drive the X axis parallel port pins? (this is like your hardware swap tests, but inside the software, and indicates whether XY pulses are being sent or not)

More
16 Aug 2015 16:55 - 16 Aug 2015 16:58 #61429 by cncbasher
have you connected the enable pin ?

make sure the enable pin from the tb6560 is connected in your hal file
to x-enable y-enable etc ( does not matter which )
and then make sure you have it working the correct way , you may need to invert the pin
( you can check that it switches between 0v and 5v ) this enables the stepper motors

(note :
stepconf does not use the enable pin ( amp enable ) , so axis will move correctly under stepconf , but not under linuxcnc )
Last edit: 16 Aug 2015 16:58 by cncbasher.

More
16 Aug 2015 22:58 #61450 by Mike29
Thank you,
I will verify that the enable pin is active but interestingly when I remove the cover of the controller I can see the LEDs associated with each axis flashing to the program commands but again no physical movement of the motors. The motors are locked, enabled, when running the Gcode.
I'm using a test program that came with the CNC machine so I'll need to verify the hal command for enable is in the program.
Appreciate the help and I'll let the forum know it I get it resolved.

More
17 Aug 2015 20:23 #61486 by Mike29
Thanks again and the problem was the Amplifier Enable pin. The documentation indicated that this was on pin 1 when actually on pin 14. I appreciate all the help.
Michael :)

More
17 Aug 2015 20:29 #61487 by andypugh

Thanks again and the problem was the Amplifier Enable pin

We would have guessed that considerably more quickly if you hadn't said that jogging was working.

More
08 Nov 2018 08:25 #120240 by zwojtek
Hi, i have similar problem. In stepconf I can move all axis. In LinuxCNC i can move only several axis and directions, depending on time and previous movement. For examlple, i can move X axis left but not righ, i can move backward but not frontward. Somtimes I can move forward when I previously pressed right arrow. In stepconf I can jog and move all axis and directions.
My hardware config is: Dell GX280, chinese lpt board like this www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-MACH3-engra...lue/32824131194.html
and stepper drivers similar to www.google.com/search?q=tb6600&newwindow...imgrc=MuiAnuvegJTYPM:

File Attachment:

File Name: moja-freza...stepconf
File Size:11 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: moja-freza...1-08.hal
File Size:3 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: moja-freza...1-08.ini
File Size:2 KB
Attachments:

More
08 Nov 2018 14:23 #120265 by andypugh
This sounds like you might have the "enable" and "dir" wires swapped. Or possibly step and dir swapped.

If it all works with the stepconf test (which does _not_ toggle the enable lines) then it does seem likely to be an enable problem (though an unusual one)

And, as always, the advice would be to start with generous step-length settings, just in case it is that. There is nothing to be gained from making the pulses as short as possible.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds