transitioning from smoothstepper to mesa?

More
03 Nov 2015 02:06 #64635 by axk

Typically modern servo drives have local encoder feedback _and_ a simulated encoder output.

This simulated encoder output is what would be feed back to linuxcnc for position feedback control,
not the motors encoder signals.

That would certainly spare me the headache of splicing and forking the signals from the motor!
I sincerely appreciate the advice and direction guys, I've never fiddled around in this domain and am learning as I go.
I'll dig through the Teco user's manual again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2015 02:10 #64637 by andypugh

From what I can tell the encoder input to my Teco drive is done via 20 pin centronics connector.
I suspect I'll need to find a way to go :
20-pin centronics -> header / breakout -> daughter board -> 7i80

Encoder input it likely to be already taken up by the servo motor.
However, looking at
www.teco-group.eu/Resources/Drives-Contr.../JSDAP-Manual-EN-V03

Page 2-28 and 2-13

It looks like they re-transmit the encoder feedback on pins 35 to 40 of Connector CN1 which is a 4-pin Centronics for maximum inconvenience :-)

Maybe this will help?
www.ebay.com/itm/14-100pin-0-05-Mini-D-R...vx25DREEFN7KsiYQx-cg

More
03 Nov 2015 03:16 #64639 by axk

From what I can tell the encoder input to my Teco drive is done via 20 pin centronics connector.
I suspect I'll need to find a way to go :
20-pin centronics -> header / breakout -> daughter board -> 7i80

Encoder input it likely to be already taken up by the servo motor.
However, looking at
www.teco-group.eu/Resources/Drives-Contr.../JSDAP-Manual-EN-V03

Page 2-28 and 2-13

It looks like they re-transmit the encoder feedback on pins 35 to 40 of Connector CN1 which is a 4-pin Centronics for maximum inconvenience :-)

Maybe this will help?
www.ebay.com/itm/14-100pin-0-05-Mini-D-R...vx25DREEFN7KsiYQx-cg

Excellent!
I dug around in my manual and it looks like they're using an identical connector. 50-pin centronics :unsure:

It seems to be in use, for all the axes actually.
I need to track down where the existing breakout board is located in the electrical cabinet. Perhaps a call to the OEM is in order before I start trying to trace wiring around...

thanks guys!

More
03 Nov 2015 03:26 #64640 by andypugh
With that breakout you will still need a cable.

It might actually be cheaper (if not easier) to get a Centronics cable and a P-Port cable, cut them both in half and solder the wires together to make the cable you need.

More
03 Nov 2015 03:40 #64641 by axk

With that breakout you will still need a cable.

It might actually be cheaper (if not easier) to get a Centronics cable and a P-Port cable, cut them both in half and solder the wires together to make the cable you need.

I just snapped a pic in the electrical cabinet.

It seems MachMotion has CN1 connected. CN2 is the actual encoder input from the motor on the bottom. The heavy cable in the middle with the green wire showing has the power related wires to the motor.
I've sent MachMotion an email asking where that cable connected to CN1 leads. I'm hoping from there I can just use a 25pin cable and connect up the encoder pins for from their own breakout board, repeat for X Y and Z and connect it to a 7i80 ?

More
03 Nov 2015 03:46 #64642 by andypugh
The step-dir pins are in that cable, and probably alarm and enable, maybe even the limits if they go via the drives.

So, it goes to the Apollo 1. The important question is how many of the wires that could be in that cable _are_ in that cable.

More
03 Nov 2015 04:18 #64645 by axk

The step-dir pins are in that cable, and probably alarm and enable, maybe even the limits if they go via the drives.

So, it goes to the Apollo 1. The important question is how many of the wires that could be in that cable _are_ in that cable.

I'm in for a real treat if they're going RJ45 -> Centronics 50 pin :(
Waiting on their email for clarification.

More
03 Nov 2015 04:33 #64646 by andypugh

I would bet money that they are. Maybe as much as 5p ( I am not a gambling man).

Making up your own cables is not the end of the world, and makes it easier to revert if necessary.

Luckily the RJ45 cables are duplicated in screw clamps, so you don't need to bother with the RJ end with your own cables.

(In fact, my earlier suggestion was silly, get SCSI cables, cut the ends of, strip them and put them into the screw clamps.)

But, no need for any of that until you actually decide to add encoders.

I would suggest moving anything on "p-port" 2 to "p-port" 1 in your LinuxCNC config, it will all fit and then frees-up a connector on the Mesa board you choose.

More
03 Nov 2015 05:36 - 03 Nov 2015 05:41 #64647 by axk

I would bet money that they are. Maybe as much as 5p ( I am not a gambling man).

Making up your own cables is not the end of the world, and makes it easier to revert if necessary.

You would win that bet.
They confirmed that they're going 50 pin centronics -> RJ45. They suggested opening up the connector and wiring in my own leads as necessary, so I may be able to skip using a breakout board near the Teco. That's a plus :)

I would suggest moving anything on "p-port" 2 to "p-port" 1 in your LinuxCNC config, it will all fit and then frees-up a connector on the Mesa board you choose.

I looked into that. Here are my current settings in Mach3. I see references to things which are enabled but not on my machine at all, such as B-axis (??) and some settings that leave me wondering why they're set (THC mode for Torch Height Control?). Also there are a slew of inputs and outputs enabled that may be completely unused. I'll need to poke around and see if that is the case. I don't have flood coolant or a probe, so I'm not sure why the OEM enabled them.

Assuming for a second I leave port 1 and port 2 configs as is. Wouldn't I have enough pins available on a 7i80db to make this work if I combined the XYZ servo encoder pins on to 1 parallel port input?
Last edit: 03 Nov 2015 05:41 by axk.

More
03 Nov 2015 06:06 - 03 Nov 2015 06:12 #64649 by andypugh

[ Here are my current settings in Mach3.

You can open the Mach3 XML file directly in the latest version of LinuxCNC Stepconf. You might as well do that at some point, it will at lesat let us see which pins are in use.

Assuming for a second I leave port 1 and port 2 configs as is. Wouldn't I have enough pins available on a 7i80db to make this work if I combined the XYZ servo encoder pins on to 1 parallel port input?

The reason is that you will probably end up with one connector of steppers and one connector of encoders on the FPGA card, and you probably can't connect the encoders via the Apollo1 as that only has a total of 8 (9?) inputs. (I imagine that the Apollo1 outputs can not be configured as inputs, as they are opto-isolators)

This means that the encoder modules of the FPGA will probably need to be connected via some other interface board.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2015 06:12 by andypugh.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.293 seconds