Mesa Spinx1 and Minarik 32001A

More
15 Nov 2015 14:12 - 15 Nov 2015 14:14 #65282 by comjon
Some history first, skip this paragraph if you choose. It seems many older hobby milling centers, the likes of Spectralights and Light Machines, are gathering dust, and this should not be the case. They are cost effective, capable, and when one considers the need for training, a great place to start in a (relatively) safer 110v and lower crash consequence environment. In keeping with the philosophy of LinuxCNC, keeping the cost of entry low to bring as many into the community makes these mill centers an ideal place to begin. IANAEE (I am not an electrical engineer), but I have skimmed the HAL guide, worked through the StepConf, played with the HalScope and HalMeter, and waded tirelessly through circuit diagrams to try and get things done on my own, and post only when completely clueless where to go next. I'd like to get beyond declaring success in terms of something not smoking when plugged (not that this has been a problem) and get on with things working as they ought to. This seems a light weight topic compared to others in this forum.

I have two parports, my first working correctly with my driver box and servos, the second in an attempt for spindle control. I chose the Mesa Spinx1 and have wired it directly to my 2nd parallel port. the Spinx1 is wired to my Minarik 32001A , an older but standard board on the Spectralight mill center. At this point, I believe I need a proper HAL file to get my Spinx1 powered up. I am guessing there are missing or incorrect net and setp commands. Terminals on the Spinx1 to parport read 3VDC, terminals on the Minarik 32001 and Spinx1 to Minarik terminals all read 5VDC. Wiring to the parport pins matches what the attached HAL file reads. I can supply photos of the Spinx1 and Minarik if helpful.

Thank you for any input.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Nov 2015 14:14 by comjon. Reason: removed reference to photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2015 07:04 #65312 by Rick G
Have you looked here...
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/examples/spindle.html

Rick G

More
16 Nov 2015 12:59 #65320 by cncbasher
and what exactly does not work ?
when you try to run the spindle , in mdi mode use M3 S500 ,to start and M5 to stop
using hal configuration in axis , allows you to monitor every pin
The following user(s) said Thank You: comjon

More
16 Nov 2015 13:41 #65322 by comjon
Rick G,

Thanks for the reply. I glanced the spindle a few weeks back. The PWM/VFD concepts make me think I am missing a piece of hardware.

More
16 Nov 2015 13:46 - 17 Nov 2015 00:59 #65324 by comjon
Cncbasher,

My spindle does not turn in MDI mode with m03 s500 or any other S setting. The pins settings all read False for pins 14,16,and 17 in MDI mode.

I notice my hal file has neither thread creation nor a siggen command. The Spinx1 requires Enable to be pulled low.

FTM: "The ENABLE input is active low, that is it must be pulled low to enable analog and digital outputs."
Last edit: 17 Nov 2015 00:59 by comjon.

More
17 Nov 2015 14:06 #65371 by andypugh

FTM: "The ENABLE input is active low, that is it must be pulled low to enable analog and digital outputs."

This may mean that you need
setp parport.1.pin-17-invert 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: comjon

More
18 Nov 2015 02:02 #65399 by comjon
Voltage across the ENABLE terminal is 5.4v with M05. As I increase rpms with the S command, voltage drops on the ENABLE terminal.

More
18 Nov 2015 06:57 #65404 by Rick G
Well that does not sound right, you might want to check your connections, I believe the enable should be high or low, not variable.
That is on or off. It sounds like it is the speed signal is connected to the enable.

Rick G

More
18 Nov 2015 09:48 #65410 by cncbasher
as rick says enable is either 0v or 5v depending on the logic chosen of the pin
a variable voltage would mean you have made this pin your pwm output ( speed )

it should turn on with an m3 and off with m5 , and if you have a reverse m4
post your updated latest hal file

More
19 Nov 2015 01:26 #65473 by comjon
Latest HAL file.

Thank you.
Attachments:

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds