Mesa Spinx1 and Minarik 32001A

More
19 Nov 2015 07:16 #65485 by Rick G
In your hal pp pin 17 is enable and should connect to the Spinx4 pin 4 (enable)
In your hal pp pin 16 is pwm and should connect to the Spinx4 pin 3 (pwm)

As cncbasher pointed out it appears pwm is connected to enable.

Rick G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2015 14:14 #65501 by comjon
I am providing photos of my 2nd parport and Spinx1. An initial goal, if you agree, should be to get the ENABLE led to light, which as of now is not lighting. My external power to the board is 5vdc, positive wired to the Spinx1 5v terminal per the Spinx1 manual, and negative to the GND terminal. My Hal file has not been changed since my prior post.
Attachments:

More
19 Nov 2015 14:28 #65503 by andypugh
The pictures help a lot.

I think you are wrong at the parport end. The "short" side of the D has the GND pins.

irtfweb.ifa.hawaii.edu/~denault/download...llel_port_pinout.jpg

More
19 Nov 2015 17:47 #65527 by comjon
Andypugh your description makes sense. My wires are in the "top" part of the 'D' curve, pins 14,16, and 17. What I can not determine from the illustration you sent is whether it is for a db25 connector with visible pins or a typical parport with 25 'holes'. I think the illustration you sent is for the 25 'hole' parport.

Thanks.

More
19 Nov 2015 18:24 #65531 by andypugh
You need to wire the gnd then. Current needs to flow from the port pin, through the spinx and back to parport gnd.

If you look carefully at the connector the numbers will be cast in the plastic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: comjon

More
19 Nov 2015 23:47 #65546 by comjon
The wire to ground I would guess needs no net or setp command in my Hal, true?

More
19 Nov 2015 23:51 #65547 by andypugh

The wire to ground I would guess needs no net or setp command in my Hal, true?

No, it is purely part of the electrical wiring.

Where is the 5V and its 0V currently coming from?

More
20 Nov 2015 01:13 - 20 Nov 2015 01:14 #65553 by comjon
5v is supplied from the vdc wall wart. 0v I have not measured on any terminal that has been wired, unless you mean the vdc common/neg.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2015 01:14 by comjon.

More
20 Nov 2015 02:38 #65557 by comjon
It took several different hal files to confirm, but I was able to verify all 3 LEDs light on CW, ENA, and SPEED.

Spindle not yet turning, attaching picture of current wiring. Minarik manual says S2 and INH2 required for the potentiometer, S1 and S3 not. Seems odd to only have two wires but I guess the pot should work more as a rheostat, maybe?

You can see only two pptentiometer wires are connected and the two unused side by side term posts on the left side of the Minarik board.
Attachments:

More
20 Nov 2015 09:59 #65564 by andypugh

0v I have not measured on any terminal that has been wired, unless you mean the vdc common/neg.

That is what I mean.

It helps to think about machine wiring in terms of current flows, especially as many signals will be transmitted by optocouplers which means that you actually do need a current flow (of a couple of mA) through the input LED of the optocoupler. So, current can't flow through the SPINX1 inputs unless it has a path back out through the GND terminal back to the wall-wart.

Rather than use a 5V wall-wart, consider stealing power from a USB socket on the PC. That way you are using the "same" 5V as the parallel port.

If you are using a wall-wart then you absolutely need to connect the wall-wart 0V / Gnd / negative / common / call it what you will. to at least one of the GND pins of the parallel port.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds