Mesa 7i92 .bit file

More
15 Jan 2016 21:21 #68490 by 10K
Replied by 10K on topic Mesa 7i92 .bit file
I'm making a lot of progress. I got the steppers, the limit switches, and the esd working!

This CNC is for a lathe. I want to be able to thread. Can I get by with just a single index on the spindle, or would I be better off with multiple signals (which I can get off of the 10-tooth spindle lock gear)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2016 21:32 #68491 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa 7i92 .bit file
A single index will work, but (depending on spindle drive speed regulation),
variable threading loads and low speeds will be problematic as there's
no way for LinuxCNC to track the spindle speed variations between index pulses

If you assume relatively poor speed regulation, the threading error from speed variations goes down
approximately proportional to the square of the counts per turn so your 10 count gear might have
almost 100 times better tracking than index alone

More
15 Jan 2016 21:43 #68492 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Mesa 7i92 .bit file

I want to be able to thread. Can I get by with just a single index on the spindle,

You can just about get away with it (it is all that Mach can work with). But you won't be able to rigid tap, or do this:

What he has done here is start a threading cycle with the spindle override set to zero, then he is turning the spindle by hand, letting the system find synch, then adjusting the phase of the workpiece to pick the thread back up again...

More
15 Jan 2016 23:37 #68503 by 10K
I do have to pick up threads from time to time when I cut them on the lathe. I've had the bit break, or had to readjust the holder, had the part turn in the chuck, or even had to put the part back in the lathe to cut threads a little deeper. So this capability is something that I probably need.

My BOB has only 5 inputs. I've used three of them already for estop, x limits/home, and y limits/home. I have two left.

The G540x2D.bit setup that I used to program the FPGA has a setup for an encoder, but it uses three pins and is set up for a quadrature encoder. I looked up the hm2_7i92.0.encoder.00 commands, and see that it uses 3 or 4 pins. So, at least with the hardware I have, that's a no-go. I currently have num_encoeders=0 set in my loadrt hm2_eth statement.

Is it possible to use two GPIOs for this? Any example of the .hal configuration?

More
16 Jan 2016 00:07 #68505 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa 7i92 .bit file
You can use a 2 pin (A+index) encoder interface with GPIO and use software encoder hal component but you are limited to
fairly low encoder resolution*speed by the fact that you can only sample at the servo thread rate

So for example if you wanted 2 1ms samples per tooth width that's 2ms per 1/20 of a turn (10 teeth 50% duty cycle)
so 40 ms per turn maximum (=1500 RPM)

Other options:
Use a custom config with A+index only hardware
add another breakout board to P1
The following user(s) said Thank You: 10K

More
16 Jan 2016 00:20 #68509 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Mesa 7i92 .bit file

My BOB has only 5 inputs. I've used three of them already for estop, x limits/home, and y limits/home. I have two left.

On a lathe you almost certainly want to home X then Z, so they could all share one limit/home pin. That will free some GPIO up.

But you should never run out of IO with a Mesa card. You can add 384 more IO lines through add-on cards on the second card header. (or just use the hardware pins as 17 more GPIO)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 10K

More
16 Jan 2016 15:28 #68529 by 10K
Thanks for the input. Looks like I have several ways I can go. Although maximum speed on my lathe is 2500 rpm, I have not run it more than about 800 rpm, so I'll start with the A+index option. Higher speeds are a possibility, though. I have used another CNC lathe, and used CSS (constant surface speed). For that lathe, I was over 2000 rpm at small diameters. So if that's something I want to pursue, I'll gang the X and Z limit switches and free up a pin. Another options would be to put the ESD on either the stepper enable line or on the power line, and not go through the software at all.

And of course, I can fairly easily add another BOB with the extra port on the 7i92, if I want to add other features in the future.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds