teknic servo drive

More
12 Apr 2016 02:58 #73140 by sniper_000
Hello
i am building a cnc machine 3mX1.5M i use 4 teknic hudson motor 3441 and 4 teknic servodrive 1500VCX but i dont know how i can conect drives with laptop..what card controller can i use to conect my drives with laptop to commande my cnc with linuxcnc?
and i want advice if my choice of motor and drive is good or not
i need tour help

thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2016 04:35 - 12 Apr 2016 04:36 #73143 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic teknic servo drive
To start with laptops generally are not good choices for a Linuxcnc control PC. All the power saving features usually end up giving unacceptable latency results.

That said, those drives use ordinary analog velocity inputs, and will work with most any standard analog servo interface for Linuxcnc, such as a Mesa 7i77. That card requires another Mesa board to interface with the computer. like a PCI card 5i25, PCIe 6i25 or the ethernet 7i80. (There are other options from Mesa as well as other manufactures.)
Last edit: 12 Apr 2016 04:36 by Todd Zuercher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper_000

More
12 Apr 2016 17:34 #73180 by sniper_000
Replied by sniper_000 on topic teknic servo drive
hello
thak you for your answer
if laptop is not good choice so what is the best choice and how i must connect mesa with my control system?

More
12 Apr 2016 18:19 #73182 by Todd Zuercher
It doesn't have to be anything special, most generic PC motherboards will work well. I am having good luck with an Intel J1900 board (I like that it is passively cooled), but those are getting hard to find. One problem with computers in general, once someone finds something inexpensive and good, it's been out of production for a year. Really, most modern (and most moderately older) boards will work fine once configured correctly. Linuxcnc doesn't need to have a super fast machine. The main thing is to make sure that it has the interface(s) you may need. PCI or PCIe ports, or a parallel port if you need one and that it doesn't have a latency problem. I can't say I know of anything in particular to avoid (other than laptops).

More
12 Apr 2016 18:55 #73184 by sniper_000
thank you
do you think that Mesa 7i77 and PCI card 5i25 work good with sst teknic servodrive?

More
12 Apr 2016 19:11 - 12 Apr 2016 19:12 #73185 by Todd Zuercher
I am currently running a machine with those cards and some older model Teknic drives (SST-3100).
Last edit: 12 Apr 2016 19:12 by Todd Zuercher.

More
12 Apr 2016 19:26 #73187 by sniper_000
i m building a cnc machine ,3metre/1.7metre i will use 4 teknic servomotors eclipse 1500 Vcx and hudson motors 3441 (75V) and ball screw(10mm),ceramic spindle(3.5kw,18000 t/m), Mesa 7i77 and PCI card 5i25.
i want my machine work with 12 m/minute .
what do you think and how u can advice me?

thank you for your help :)

More
12 Apr 2016 20:12 #73189 by Todd Zuercher
How heavy are the moving parts? Is that a 10mm diameter or pitch screw? (10mm diameter might be kinda small.) If it is the pitch, it should be ok.

Best advice read the manuals (Linuxcnc and Teknic). The Teknic manuals for the drive installation and their software manual for their tuning software (which has to run on a Windows PC) will be very helpful. You'll still probably need your laptop, running windows to connect to the drive and configure and tune them once you have the machine set up. You can use hal scope in Linuxcnc to view the encoder feed back instead of using an external scope on the drive while tuning. Depending on the age and model of the drives, the Teknic software may have a built in scope for tuning. Some or all of drives we have here did not (I can't remember if the sst-3100s did or didn't pretty sure I used Hal scope.)

Be sure to follow all the proper conventions for grounding and using shielded cable. And paying someone to make encoder cables is usually money well spent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper_000

More
12 Apr 2016 20:39 #73191 by sniper_000
thanks a lot ,you are the best :D

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds