Help wiring a 7i77

More
13 May 2016 15:48 #74608 by sticky
Help wiring a 7i77 was created by sticky
Okay, I am terrible at electronics / wiring and I know some of you could just glance at this and know exactly what to do so here it is. I have a 7i77 card and a mill with 3 Mitsubishi servos (2 x MR-J2-40A1 & 1 x MR-J2-20A1). Each servo amp has 2 20 pin connectors that connect to the 7i77. The documentation for the amps is pretty detailed, but I do not understand what most of the 7i77 terminals are for. Here is the pin layout for the servo amps:

All I have so far on the 7i77 is inputs 0-7 which are all pendant controls:
0 = Estop
1 = Start
2 = Stop
3 = Z-
4 = Z+
5 = Y-
6 = Y+
7 = X-
8 = X+

I am not even sure where the out power should be for the above pendant buttons? I just don't understand which of the below pins connect to which encoder blocks and drive blocks on the 7i77? I appreciate any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2016 14:27 #74792 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Help wiring a 7i77
I can't see the image. Could you try again?

More
17 May 2016 16:51 #74800 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Help wiring a 7i77
it is just matching things up. You are going to be using using analog velocity control (I believe that's column S on your chart).

For Joint-0 (X-axis) you would be connecting:
CN1A pin#5 => TB3 pin#7
CN1A pin#6 => TB3 pin#1
CN1A pin#7 => TB3 pin#4
CN1A pin#15 => TB3 pin#8
CN1A pin#16 => TB3 pin#2
CN1A pin#17 => TB3 pin#5

CN1B pin#1 => TB5 pin#3
CN1B pin#2 => TB5 pin#4
CN1B pin#20 => TB5 pin#1 (if CN1B-20 is ground, if it is +24v then switch with TB5#2)
CN1B pin#5 => TB5 pin#2

There may be more pins that could (or should) be connected but this is a minimum start. (and I could be wrong on some things)

More
23 May 2016 23:58 #75013 by MachineMan1
Replied by MachineMan1 on topic Help wiring a 7i77
I have a similar question to the OP except I'm running MR-J2S drives in position mode using a 7I76 board. I'm having trouble making heads or tails of how I should wire the drives to the 7I76, specifically the encoders and motor pulse train. Could somebody help me match the 7i76 pinout for those functions with that of the CN1A/CN1B ports?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments:

More
25 May 2016 22:04 #75087 by Todd Zuercher
How many of these drives do you intend to connect to your 7i76? The 7i76 is intended for position control (digital position output) only and doesn't have the ability to read encoder feedback. At least not for each axis. The 7i76 does have one encoder input, intended to be used for reading the encoder on a spindle. If you want to use encoder feedback for all of your axis you will need another card in addition to or in place of the 7i76.

That said, you don't usually need to have encoder feedback to run position mode drives (step/dir, quadrature, or what ever signal you choose to use).
Your pulse train pins on the drive are 2 and 12 and 3 and 13, and would connect to their analogous pins on the 7i76. So if you have the drive configured for step/dir, and pin 2/12 is the dir+/dir- and 3/13 would go to the step+/step-.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MachineMan1

More
29 May 2016 16:30 #75221 by MachineMan1
Replied by MachineMan1 on topic Help wiring a 7i77
Hi Todd,

Thanks for your help!

How many of these drives do you intend to connect to your 7i76? The 7i76 is intended for position control (digital position output) only and doesn't have the ability to read encoder feedback. At least not for each axis. The 7i76 does have one encoder input, intended to be used for reading the encoder on a spindle. If you want to use encoder feedback for all of your axis you will need another card in addition to or in place of the 7i76.

I'll be running four servos (XYZA) in position mode and one spindle servo in speed mode (using the analog channel).

That said, you don't usually need to have encoder feedback to run position mode drives (step/dir, quadrature, or what ever signal you choose to use).

Perfect it sounds like I picked the right Mesa daughter card. My servos support differential step/dir input and I'm planning to run them that way.

Your pulse train pins on the drive are 2 and 12 and 3 and 13, and would connect to their analogous pins on the 7i76. So if you have the drive configured for step/dir, and pin 2/12 is the dir+/dir- and 3/13 would go to the step+/step-.

Awesome thanks! This is exactly what I needed to know for the XYZA motors I have in position mode. For the spindle servo I've got in speed mode what do you recommend for the motor and servo connections?

More
30 May 2016 02:36 #75237 by Todd Zuercher
That depends on what the manuals for your drive recommend.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds