Voltage drop on the 7i80 from e-stop contactors

More
18 Jun 2016 09:05 - 22 Jun 2016 06:03 #76243 by jeeybee
When the e-stop contactors which powers the servos and spindle are turned on I get a large voltage dip that causes the 7i80 to fail and I have to restart linuxcnc to get it running again.

There is a big 200v transformer that powers the hole machine and from this a 5v 10A meanwell power supply that powers the 7i80 and I can see on my oscilloscope that the voltage drops down to 2.4v and up to 6v when I turn on and of the contactors.

I have tried the following things with no succes.
1: EMC filter on the 200v power to the 5v supply (no noticable effect)
2: Small capacitor near the 7i80 (small effect)
3: Big 10000uf capacitor near the 7i80 (a little better, max drop down to 3v)
4: Diod and then capacitor to keep the capacitors effect only to the 7i80 (no better effect and voltage drop from the diod)

What I have not tried is some kind of inductor in series with the 5v supply, I dont have much experience with that?

More suggestions anyone?
Last edit: 22 Jun 2016 06:03 by jeeybee.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2016 12:10 #76255 by PCW
if the 5V power drops enough to reset the 7I80, this is not really a noise issue, this is a loss of power

Does the Meanwell power supply lose primary power when this happens?

Maybe you have a bad 5V supply (the output going to 6V suggests this and is a bit scary)

More
20 Jun 2016 11:16 #76310 by andypugh

Maybe you have a bad 5V supply (the output going to 6V suggests this and is a bit scary)

I would expect the output filter caps to keep a modest 5V load alive for a second or more. How long does the mains power brown-out last?

What powers the contactor coil? Is that from the 5V supply too?

More
22 Jun 2016 06:02 #76396 by jeeybee
There is a major shift up and down in the main power also which yes is the cause of the loss in power on the 5v and 24v supplies.
There is also a quite large transformer that is powered up when the contactors are activated.
Both the 24v and 5v supply has this spike and even when I added a 10000uf capacitor it can not keep it to 5v.

The contactor coils are driven from 230v by a safety relay soo they should not cause anything directly to the 24v or 5v supply.

More
22 Jun 2016 08:10 #76402 by andypugh

There is a major shift up and down in the main power also which yes is the cause of the loss in power on the 5v and 24v supplies.

Are you sure that your mains power feed cables are adequately sized? It might be worth checking the screw terminals all the way back to the power company box.

More
22 Jun 2016 09:13 #76405 by cncbasher
if your mains input power is dropping , then solve that first , this would suggest the mains wiring is not correct , or undersized
poor breaker contacts etc , or the distribution power is flakey at least .

looking at the machine to solve a mains problem will never work ,

More
22 Jun 2016 12:33 #76419 by Todd Zuercher
I'll second that. I had to replace the overhead line from the meter to my house a few years ago. Large chunks of insulation missing, and the aluminum conductors rotted, and eroded away to almost nothing. It was amazing it worked at all (and no wonder my electric bills were so high.)

More
22 Jun 2016 12:45 #76420 by jeeybee
Sorry, I meant that the 200vac from the very large transformer also drops, not the main 400v supply, but I have not checked if that drops to so I will do that.
The machine is powered with 400v ( as is our mains here in Sweden) and transformed dowm with a 50x50x50cm transformer to 200v.

More
01 Jul 2016 17:14 #76902 by jeeybee
You are right, it is a mains problem so it will probably go away when the machine is installed correctly where its supposed to be.
Thanks for the help!

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds