Mesa 7i96 Ethernet board

More
28 Jul 2018 07:41 #115004 by Ewok2
Replied by Ewok2 on topic Mesa 7i96 Ethernet board
Ok I found the pb I was facing till begining... A power supply pb, I had a 12V main power supply with a L7805 to get a 5V power. This L7805 should allow 1.5Amp and the 7I96 should not go over 250mA.. but it does not work well!
I replace the 5V power and now the mesa card ping either with 192.168.1.121, 10.10.10.10 or even 192.168.0.140 depending on jumper and on the mesflash IP setting.

I will keep the 10.10.10.10 even if I dont see trouble with other IP.
Blazini, you talk about "in the future you will likely want to network your machine's"
you mean the direct cable between the PC and the Mesa is only for the configuration of the CNC ?
Once it work I could put the CNC in a network with Switch and router?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2018 07:58 #115005 by Ewok2
Blazini, for information I can't put "loadrt hm2_eth board_ip="10.10.10.10"" on top of the HAL file as the IP is already set in the ini file, I if done twice I get an error.

Ok so nownLinuxCNC start and I get the HMI interface AXIS :-)
As I am not sure on the config file and on the HW part of my CNC, what kind of test could you sugest to check ?

Many thanks

More
28 Jul 2018 17:12 #115019 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic Mesa 7i96 Ethernet board
No you need the direct ethernet connection from the PC to the 7i96 at all times. You can add a second ethernet card or use wifi on your normal network to the PC to do what you would otherwise do normally or remote into them.

For example I have my mill in the basement. I use my desktop PC to make cad/cam files then send the Gcode files to the mill, also if I'm changing alot of things in hal I prefer to vnc into the mill from my desktop or laptop to write the files directly on the mill but from another place entirely.

More
08 Oct 2018 20:09 #118559 by Ewok2
Hello
I am back to my CNC after the summer break.

Now linuxCnc launch and with no warning or error.
I thought I could test the steper motor but I did not success.
I push on the red cross then on the red power button on the interface.
The X menu seems to be selectable.
I select 5mm then +
And the value of the X axis increase... but the stepper motor does not move.
I don't know where to start to debug.

could anyone give me a direction to search ?

Many thanks

More
08 Oct 2018 21:07 #118563 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa 7i96 Ethernet board
If you can jog and you don't get a following error, this means that LinuxCNC is communicating with the stepgen hardware on the 7I96 so you shoud have step/dir outputs working

Most common issues with these symptoms are

1. STEP/DIR swapped
2. Other wiring errors
3. Step time too short (DO NOT set at Drives minimum value)

More
08 Oct 2018 22:06 - 08 Oct 2018 22:15 #118565 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic Mesa 7i96 Ethernet board
What Kind of stepper drives are you using? I use all Leadshine drives and the larger ones take step/dir signals with 4 wires from the Mesa board while the little drives take 1 wire for pulse, 1 for dir, and a common wire for the opto-coupler.

As PCW said, step length can be a problem. I think pncconf defaults to something like 2500ns and the only thing I ever had that work for was super cheap drives. Every Leadshine drive I've used need at least 5000ns.

One machine I have I setup like this:
DIRSETUP   = 7500
DIRHOLD    = 2000
STEPLEN    = 7500
STEPSPACE  = 1000

You should look at the specs sheet for you drivers because I have another machine that is setup with a steplen of 5000ns
Last edit: 08 Oct 2018 22:15 by blazini36.

More
09 Oct 2018 21:21 #118605 by Ewok2
Thanks it is now moving !!! :-) with some change in ini file as you suggest
but with an horrible noise in X
a medium horrible in Y and a nice noise in Z.

My trouble is that I buy some TB6600 driver and some 23HS5628 stepper motor but I receive them without any documentation.
I start with a power supply of 12V and a current limitation to 1A

I will try to find more documentation.

But another question... do I have to start the tunning with LinuxCnc first or with the microswitch on the TB6600 driver ?

More
09 Oct 2018 22:05 - 09 Oct 2018 22:08 #118606 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Mesa 7i96 Ethernet board
There is no need for tuning, you just have to set the parameters on the drives, namely the current that goes to your motors and the micro stepping.
Current - set it to what is written on your motors, if you do not have any info set it to 1 amp and test for 15 minutes, check the motor temperature, it can be mildly warm or warm after an hour of use. Set it higher and check again. If they get to hot to hold your hand on, lower it a bit.
Micro stepping - set it to whatever you might need and since you are using Mesa 7i96 you can safely use 1/8 or 1600 pulses per revolution, that should get rid of the noise you described.
After that you can set the scaling and maximum velocity and acceleration in Linuxcnc.
Nothing more.
Just to be on the safe side, test the maximum velocity and acceleration you can get and set it to half that, or at least 20 to 30 % lower to avoid stalling or loosing steps.
Also change the power supply, 12V is way to low so you will be limited at the maximum velocity you can get, 24V is the right choice for your drives.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2018 22:08 by tommylight. Reason: Added more info

More
09 Oct 2018 22:15 #118607 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa 7i96 Ethernet board
a Little googling shows 23HS5628 as being a 2.8A motor

More
10 Oct 2018 06:14 #118622 by Ewok2
PCW, no need for google, I knew that my motor where 2.8 A :-)
But I thought that it was a maximum power that make the limitation... and as there where no indication on the voltage accept by the motor...
And I didn't know if 2.8 was the standar value or if it was a not to exeed but the standar was bellow

Thanks tommylight for all this detail explanations. I will test it todays :-)

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds