Need help connecting motor

More
09 May 2017 20:29 #92947 by wanabemachinist
Hi, I know that this motor isn`t quite cnc related, but also, you here are the experts for motors.
If it`s a very wrong place for my question please remove this somewhere else, and excuse me in advance.

I think, this is a servo motor. :-). It is a brushless one definatly , and it is a outer-rotor one. It reminds me of an rc outrunner (my noob observation :-) ). Very similar motor can be founded here and here .
So...my question is:
Is this motor...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2017 20:31 #92948 by wanabemachinist
...can be controlled with this servo tester?

Specs of this servo tester are here .

Do i need some ESC in between or i can connect this tester directly?
If it`s possible, please kindly, edit this picture,

and connect dots with lines, because i`m noob at electronics and it might be helpful for me and others, for reusing free old scrap motors from copier and suchlike electronic waste.
Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
P.S. I splited my questions because message editor do not allow to many links.

More
09 May 2017 20:50 #92950 by Todd Zuercher
I don't think it's a servo.
That said, almost any electric motor can be used as a servo, with added feed back and the right controls.

More
09 May 2017 21:50 - 09 May 2017 21:52 #92954 by tommylight
That is a DC brushless motor with controll electronics built in from an old photocopier, i have plenty of those.
The one you have can be used as a servo motor as it has CV/CCV input, most others do not.
If you have an old PC power supply you can easily test is as it needs 24V and 5V, it does work with 12V and 5V but the speed will be limited.
Wiring should be:
PC PS MOTOR
+12V ======= +24V
+5V ======== +5V
GND ======== both GND

PC Parport Motor
PWM out === on/off
PWM DIR === CV/CCV

All the ones i have are active low, so just wiring on/off to gnd should start the motor in one direction, wiring cv/ccv to gnd should reverse the rotation.
You can not test with a servo tester.
RC servo and CNC servo are not the same thing as the controll for RC is a PWM with warying ON time from 1.2ms to 2.2 ms, cnc servos are PWM or +-10v or many other types, but not RC type.
Last edit: 09 May 2017 21:52 by tommylight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wanabemachinist

More
09 May 2017 21:53 - 09 May 2017 22:54 #92955 by wanabemachinist
I have read on other forums ( topics about reusing stuff from old big copiers) that ppl wrote, that this motor (visually similar ,
almost identical) is "brushless servo main motor with encoder"...I`m not sure, but then again it is worth to try if someone know how to connect this 2?
Sorry, i just saw tommylight post so above is irrelevant.
Thank You!
Can you draw me some pic ( edit my last picture and add that hardware you mention) and link where to buy that pwm,please?

edit2:
Hahaha... i`m happy as i salvaged 24v psu from the same copier , managed to power it on without other boards, and it`s working graeat
standalone.

Is this motor can be used as diy micro drill press ( it have torque about 3.5 kgf-cm)?
Last edit: 09 May 2017 22:54 by wanabemachinist.

More
09 May 2017 23:12 #92961 by tommylight
To slow for drilling with small drill bits as they need way more RPM.

More
16 May 2017 05:06 #93251 by wanabemachinist
Thank you tommylight , sorry for delayed answer.
Can this pwm help?

More
16 May 2017 11:42 #93257 by tommylight
That is a DC motor controller so it can not help in your case, your motor has its own controll and is a diferent type of motor.
I use the same type of motors you have for stone or glas or anything engravers so you can start building one of those, there are some threads in this forum about them and i can help you during the process. I also have uploaded the config for it and a lot of pictures. They are used to etch pictures on any hard surface as they use diamond bits.
forum.linuxcnc.org/10-advanced-configura...e-superimosing-a-pic

More
16 May 2017 16:28 #93269 by wanabemachinist
Thank you tommylight,
Trust me it`s not sarcastic :-) ... but with what the f thing you control speed of your motors that looks just like mine? :-)
Or it`s just mechanical gearing/belt ratio 3:1, 4:1.... like drill press?

More
16 May 2017 21:41 #93282 by tommylight

Thank you tommylight,
Trust me it`s not sarcastic :-) ... but with what the f thing you control speed of your motors that looks just like mine? :-)
Or it`s just mechanical gearing/belt ratio 3:1, 4:1.... like drill press?

LOL
PWM directly from parallel port to the on/off pin on the motor.
Those motors have quite some torque but not much speed, i would gues around 2000 RPM, so not enough for drilling with smal drils, they need more.
You can try and make a smal dril with it, experience is the best way to learn things.
I also have some much bigger ones, but all the ones i have turn only in one direction except 1. I did try to use it as a servo motor by attaching an encoder, belt driven and it works O.K.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds