7i90hd with 7i40 for lathe

More
03 Jun 2017 11:35 #94030 by zack
Considering changing from mach-3 with 2 x geko 320's "driving 1/3 hp 80v dc brushed pacific science servos" the encoders are working, i think 2000-ppr quadrature if I am not mistaken.

A laptop configuration, with an Ethernet fpga, would be first prize.

1) Will this hardware be suitable for my Myford super 7 lathe.
2) will a four slot disk, hall effect sensor, pickup be appropriate for spindle feedback. I would like to do thread-cutting on the machine.
3) what other daughter boards would best suit for Spindle pwm, coolant relay, limit switches etc. Perhaps auto tool changer in the future.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2017 12:15 - 03 Jun 2017 12:18 #94032 by Todd Zuercher
I don't know for sure, it looks like it should not be too bad of a fit. What is the peak current rating and torque constant of the motors?

A 7i37TA is a nice addition.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2017 12:18 by Todd Zuercher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zack

More
05 Jun 2017 17:39 #94112 by zack
Replied by zack on topic 7i90hd with 7i40 for lathe
Thanks Todd, group, could you please advise or elaborate on the following:

Looked into the motor spec, and the way I read it as follows.
1750 rpm at 120v dc armature, therefore my max rpm would be 1200 odd. at 80v.
Gearing on the X and Z axis would be 2mm per rev therefore 2,4m per minute rapid, ok? on a small lathe.
Encodres are 500 cpr 2000 counts in quadrature therefore 1000 counts per mm?
92oz-in torque per amp, enough at 7amps (640oz-in)? Back EMF Ke=68v/kRPM

Thinking of the 7i80hd opposed to the 7i90, the way I understand, is that Linux CNC dose all the calcs PC side.
The FPGA dose not do any math? so with the encoder count rather high the 7i90 could run out of steam on the interface to PC side.(Can also get a 7i80hd locally and a 7i37 ''one with common ground'')

Can the 7i37 outputs be configured for some step/dir for a toolchanger driven by a stepper in the future?

Regards Zack

More
05 Jun 2017 19:07 #94116 by Todd Zuercher
With Mesa hardware, the encoder count has little if anything to do with the speed of the connection between the Mesa hardware and the PC (parallel port, PCI, ethernet). The encoder is counted in the Mesa hardware and it then reports the position to Linuxcnc every servo period (Linuxcnc never sees the individual encoder counts)
1000counts/mm isn't all that high, definitely not too high for any Mesa card, and your motors max rpm of 2400mm/min (about 90ips) is far from blazing fast. The encoder count will be what, 40kHz at that speed, not a problem.

Yes, some of the outputs of a 7i37 can be configured as stepgens.

More
06 Jun 2017 12:34 #94150 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 7i90hd with 7i40 for lathe

2) will a four slot disk, hall effect sensor, pickup be appropriate for spindle feedback. I would like to do thread-cutting on the machine.

It will work, but more slots would be better. You could consider using the back-gear wheel itself.
With more than one pulse per rev you need a separate index pulse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zack

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds