MESA 7i77 jog wheel encoder

More
17 Oct 2017 09:16 - 17 Oct 2017 09:47 #100459 by RotarySMP
Per the MESA 7i77 manual P18, if you set software mode 3, you can connect a jog wheel encoder to inputs 16-19 (TB7), and it will set the input thresholds to 2.5V.

Since my MAHO is only a three axis machine, I have three unused encoder interfaces on the 7i77.

It is not clear whether you have to put the jog wheel encoder on this general I/O connector, or whether you can use one of the unused encoder connections on TB4? Are the Encoder 0-5 on TB3 and TB4 dedicated to motion control loops, or can you do a set up with four encoders but only three control loops, and use the fourth encoder for jogging?

Also, if non-control loop encoders can be fitted to TB 3 and TB4, can the little rotary encoders such as burns PEC series be connected there for feed override? Those encoders dont have a separate 5V in, they just connect 5v on the channel A or B pins to a common gnd pin..

Mark
Last edit: 17 Oct 2017 09:47 by RotarySMP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2017 14:38 #100472 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic MESA 7i77 jog wheel encoder
You can use normal encoder inputs for MPGs, they do lack the 1X mode that's desirable
with normal 100 PPR MPGs with detents but for things like feed override that should be fine.

The Bournes encoder switches should work on TB3/4
(when set to TTL mode the inputs have the required pullup resistors)

More
17 Oct 2017 14:50 #100473 by RotarySMP
Thanks for your help.

So without the 1x mode in hardware, I'd get a 400 pulse quadrature signal into LinuxCNC.

Does the "Counter mode = true" option only work on that one GI/O located encoder, or can I also use that in the HAL to reduce from quadrature back to 100 ppr on one of the TB3/4 encoders for Jogging?
Mark

More
17 Oct 2017 15:00 #100474 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic MESA 7i77 jog wheel encoder
counter mode=true is an up/down counter not 1x quadrature
(it will sort-of work as 1X with quadrature but if you go back and
forth 1 count it will keep counting in the same direction rather than up
and down 1 count)

More
17 Oct 2017 17:21 #100486 by RotarySMP
Thanks. Then I will plan on putting the Job wheel out on those GI/O pins, and the Velocity and feedrate override encoders onto spare encoder pins.
Mark

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds