SLA7044M

More
15 Nov 2017 19:23 #101861 by KimJongChill
SLA7044M was created by KimJongChill
Hello.
I am replacing a burnt out axis lane on my driver board.
I purchased a replacement stepper motor without fully understanding the difference between bipolar and unipolar.
The IC I am replacing is the SLA7044M. I am wondering if there is a different chip i can replace it with to allow the use of bipolar motors.
Finding A hybrid stepper with the same characteristics as the stock sherline motors (nema23, 3.2v, 2a) is challenging.
Is my only option to go through sherline?

Datasheet: html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/55209/ALL.../247/1/SLA7044M.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2017 19:33 #101862 by KimJongChill
Replied by KimJongChill on topic SLA7044M
Or, if im reading this datasheet correctly, i can run any unipolar motor up to 7V and 5A on this chip?
I have upgraded the 24v DC powersupply up to a 15A model (I had one from another project).

More
15 Nov 2017 23:27 #101867 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic SLA7044M
You can run any UNIpolar motor with that IC up to 3A, that means motors with 5, 6 or 8 wires can be used with proper wiring. 5A is the maximum it can handle for a very short period of time. As for voltage, if you are using 24V power supply it will work even with 12V motors, but no fast rotation, yours is 3.2V so it will work nicely.
And it does not have to be the exact replacement, it will work with most motors ( even bigger or smaller in size ), but avoid high voltage ones as they will limit the rotation speed a lot, and the current for your case can be anything from 2 to 3.5A, on the motors. You can also change a single resistor on the board the 7044 is and change the current going to the motor if you need to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KimJongChill

More
16 Nov 2017 01:58 #101872 by KimJongChill
Replied by KimJongChill on topic SLA7044M
That answers all of my questions; I felt lost there for a sec. Thank you very much!

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.417 seconds