Robotarm controll via RAMPS Ardunio

More
20 Nov 2017 12:36 #102055 by RoboFan
Hello I installed Linux CNC yesterday after searched for CNC controlling software via linux. I am actually building an open source Robot Arm www.bcn3dtechnologies.com/en/bcn3d-moveo...-future-of-learning/ The basis of the control hardware is 3d printer technic: Arduino Mega 2560 an a Ramps 1.4 Stepper driver board. I searched the forum for Ramps using but didn`t find anything (I am curious about that).
Is it possible to control an Arduino with Ramps 1.4 board via Linux CNC?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2017 13:28 #102058 by rodw

Is it possible to control an Arduino with Ramps 1.4 board via Linux CNC?

In a word no.
LinuxCNC is a motion controller and your Arduino is one too.
Whilst it might be possible to get 2 systems talking to each other, it will be more trouble than its worth.
With Linuxcnc, either use a parallel port board or some of the third party boards such as those from Mesa or Pico Systems. These have more inputs and step generators than a parallel port which might be more appropriate for a robot arm. Eg, I use a Mesa 7i76e ethernet board with 5 stepgens, 32 inputs and 16 outputs plus 2 MPG inputs and a spindle controller before I count all of the daughter cards that could be added to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoboFan, hamid_archi

More
20 Nov 2017 15:47 #102062 by RoboFan
Thank you for the quick info. I should have a closer look on this things to understand the differences. So the next Step could be to change the little arduino with bigger boards.

More
24 Nov 2017 17:36 #102299 by andypugh
How do you control the arm with the Arduino normally? Does the Arduino controller handle the robot kinematics?

More
25 Nov 2017 19:01 #102340 by bjames28
Hi,

Look at this page: Moveo kinematic
(you need to register in order to access the ini/hal files)
The simulation configuration seems to work with Moveo D-H parameters calculated. I installed the vismach sim config and after some modifications I was able to move the arms.
Hopefully the details are enough to start the parport setup too.

Janos

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds