Mesa 7I96 or 7I76E

More
03 Jan 2018 08:32 - 03 Jan 2018 08:33 #103984 by fenton06
Mesa 7I96 or 7I76E was created by fenton06
Hey all, I am in need of some assistance picking out some hardware for my 3 axis conversion.

Controller card: I'll be using stepper motors (no encoders), a Huanyang VFD to control the motor using modbus, and will be devising some sort of quadrature encoder setup for threading. Will the 7I96 be sufficient since I do not need the analog spindle control or a plethora of inputs? The only inputs I see having a 3 home switches, but please correct me if I am wrong!

Power supply: For either of these cards, will 24V @ .7A be a sufficient power supply?

If you need anymore information just ask, I'm more than happy to provide it. Thanks ya'll!
Last edit: 03 Jan 2018 08:33 by fenton06.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2018 11:54 #104278 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Mesa 7I96 or 7I76E
7i96 should be fine. You can control the VFD with Modbus, there is a HAL component that works well with USB to Modbus converters.

More
25 Jan 2018 06:07 - 25 Jan 2018 06:07 #104988 by DanMN
Replied by DanMN on topic Mesa 7I96 or 7I76E
I'm running a CNC router with steppers and a 7i76E, using the HY VFD and spindle. I use a 15A 24v power supply for "house" power and the X&Z axis motors, and a separate 36v 10A power supply for the other 2 NEMA 23 steppers in my configuration (dual screw Y-axis). I'm not sure what other elements are in your intended config, but 0.7A seems light, if that's what you intended.

I'm using more home/limit switches than you, and still have room to grow. I'm toying with the idea of a water flow sensor that will throw an audible and visible alert if there isn't coolant physically moving through my spindle; then after some time interval, e-stop the machine.-- just to make sure it doesn't go all China syndrome if the frightfully cheap-looking pump ever craps out.

I just finished configuring LinuxCNC to use the spindle via a USB rs485 dongle, and I'm thrilled with finally cracking that nut. Example configurations from here on this forum saved me weeks of blind exploration. After a year of building sporadically, I'm now but a meager few dozen hours from having a whirly-thing that makes chips. I'm happy with the combo of components so far!
Last edit: 25 Jan 2018 06:07 by DanMN. Reason: clumsy prose

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds