5i25/Gecko G540 on 3d printer

More
21 Jan 2018 17:03 #104801 by kb8wmc
DIY build of 3D printer and router combination..Has been working for couple years...Parallel port on computer went bad...Acquired a 5i25 to replace bad parport...Converted the appropriate .hal and .ini files over to work with the 5i25...The BOB (G540) motor drivers drive all axes correctly...I can get the limit switches (wired in series, NC) to be recognized and all function properly...The main problems come in controlling the heat to the heated bed and the hot-end...I am using Anders Wallin's controller component, which has performed well on the printer.

It presently appears that something is incorrect or missing in the hal configuration...It also appears that I have zero control of the heat because the I/O ports are not being recognized/setup correctly...I don't have the machine or computer here in order to attach the appropriate files, but will do so at earliest convenience if necessary...I have a feeling that this is something I have simply missed in set up, which is probably invisible to me, but maybe not someone more familiar with Mesa cards...On that note, the 5125 has been flashed with the g540x2 firmware...

If anyone has an example of similar working setup for printer I would be most appreciative to view it...

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2018 01:28 #105259 by tommylight
IMHO that would require 2 digital outputs and 2 analogue inputs. 5i25 can do digital inputs and outputs easily, but i do not know if it can do analogue inputs.. It can also do PWM outputs and if i remember correctly you get 2 PWM outputs in that config you are using but on 2 ports from 5i25. You should check with PCW for more detailed info, also provide us with more info on how the heaters are controlled, like do they use relays to switch on or use MOSFET's.
From what you wrote, using a parallel port, i would assume it would use just digital outputs to switch the heaters on and something else controls the actual temperature.

More
01 Feb 2018 15:41 - 01 Feb 2018 15:41 #105284 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 5i25/Gecko G540 on 3d printer
The 5I25 cannot (directly) do analog inputs, but it can do everything a parallel port can do,
so if things worked before its possible to make them work again. its probably a hal
issue because of the different pin names and setup required to make 5I25 GPIO pins
work as outputs, so having the hal/ini files posted here should make this easy to solve.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2018 15:41 by PCW.

More
02 Feb 2018 03:58 #105311 by kb8wmc

The 5I25 cannot (directly) do analog inputs, but it can do everything a parallel port can do,
so if things worked before its possible to make them work again. its probably a hal
issue because of the different pin names and setup required to make 5I25 GPIO pins
work as outputs, so having the hal/ini files posted here should make this easy to solve.

Tommylight: We are not using relay...Mosfets on the pcb...

PCW: I likewise believe the issues are either syntax related, or missing pins, which prohibits making connections...Although today we were able to get input pins identified and working properly...Need to get the output pins working properly...Not able to get anything on the PYVCP panels working to report temp etc...Missing some connection to link it all together...
I am attaching some files to peruse...

Thanks for any help

More
02 Feb 2018 15:27 #105332 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 5i25/Gecko G540 on 3d printer
A general observation:

You may have to replace the software encoder with the hardware encoder
and possibly the software PWM generator with a hardware PWM generator.

The way to debug is to follow the signal chain from temperature input frequency to
temperature ( signal tempdegrees ) verify that tempdegrees is correct, Then if you want to
use the software PWMgen you must set GPIO 007 to output mode. Unlike the parallel port
all GPIO on the 5I25 can be inputs or outputs, and at startup all GPIO default to input mode,
so to use a GPIO pin as an output you must set it into output mode:

setp hm2_5i25.0.gpio.007.is_output true

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds