28 Jan 2018 01:37 #105094 by rhodewa
Hello,

I tried to connect to 7i76e with mesaflash by typing:
mesaflash --device 7I76E

But it says No 7I76E board found.

When I tried the setname program for linux I found in another thread it said
Old Name:
Connection timed out.

The ethernet is connected direction from the board to the computer port. Does it need to be connect with a crossover cable or to a network router instead?

Not sure of the proper steps to set this up. Using Manjaro Linux with linuxcnc from here: aur.archlinux.org/packages/linuxcnc-sim

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2018 02:37 #105099 by PCW
Before you try mesaflash make sure you have a working network connection and can ping the 7I76E card

a couple questions:

1. Is the 7I76e setup for 192.168.1.121 or 10.10.10.10 IP address?
2. Is the host computer Ethernet adapter setup so that it can access the 7I76E card?

The 7I76E needs no router/switch and can (and should) connect directly to the host Ethernet port,
but the host must be setup to have a IP address and netmask that allow access to the 7I76E card.
This typically must be setup manually before you can access the 7I76E.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rhodewa

More
28 Jan 2018 23:25 #105128 by tommylight
You need this version of Linuxcnc for 7i76E to work:
www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/
get the r10 version iso and write the image to a usb stick, then you can install it or you can start it and use it from usb.
Again, you will have to do everything PCW mentioned above.

More
30 Jan 2018 18:46 - 30 Jan 2018 18:59 #105203 by rhodewa
Thank you. OK, I switched it to the 10.10.10.10 address and manually setup the IP and was able to ping it and connect to it with mesaflash. I saved some info to text files from the various commands to the desktop.

Now when running pncconf wizard it gives the same error shown in this thread when pressing the test buttons: forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/39-pncconf/3075...rnel-error-and-7i76e

That post is also referenced from here where it seems like it potentially fixed something: github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/159

But when booting from the live cd of the r10 rtpreempt that tommylight sent it gives the same error.

Can I do what they suggest in the first reply to the forum thread linked above and edit the INI file manually to change things and if so, where is this INI file located?

Later on in the thread they mention that test has to be pushed to update the hardware values and that refresh can be pressed to update the text input box to the current values. Does this mean the INI file can't be edited manually or that pressing test updates the INI file and not actually something on the hardware?

Also, how can I actually know what the right values are to put into pncconf?

What is the next step after that?

Thanks for your help!
Last edit: 30 Jan 2018 18:59 by rhodewa.

More
30 Jan 2018 19:13 #105205 by PCW
The ini file will be in the configuration directory specified when you started pncconf
( It will be in ~/linuxcnc/configs/machine-name where "machine-name" is entered on pncconf's "Base Information" page )

More
31 Jan 2018 02:39 #105223 by rhodewa
When the error occurs pncconf doesn't crash, but the Test buttons in various places just don't seem to work or at least it pops up the error. For example in the live cd r10 from the link provided before it pops this up when pressing the Test / Tune Axis button:

PNCconf encountered an error. The following information may be useful in troubleshooting:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pncconf/pages.py", line 1084, in on_xaxistune_clicked
def on_xaxistune_clicked(self, *args): self.t.tune_axis('x')
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pncconf/tests.py", line 463, in tune_axis
if not self.a.check_for_rt():
File "/usr/bin/pncconf", line 1640, in check_for_rt
elif hal.is_rt and not hal.kernel_version == actual_kernel:
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'kernel_version'

Also, when I then go into LinuxCNC and select the config I created in pncconf it seems to do nothing when I click OK.

So I feel like I'm missing something somewhere but don't know what that could be or where to go to figure it out.

More
31 Jan 2018 04:37 - 31 Jan 2018 04:38 #105224 by PCW
AFAIK none of pncconf tune functions work (at least with Ethernet cards), which is why I suggested using the
calibrate feature in Axis instead
Last edit: 31 Jan 2018 04:38 by PCW.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds