Intel NUC with mesa 7i76e and some suggestions

More
29 Mar 2018 06:45 - 29 Mar 2018 06:53 #108060 by yrsiddhapura
Hello guys i am new to cnc and linuxcnc and i want to build a cnc machine for my workshop for mechanical side i have completed now all i have to do is electronics and electrical work.

Machine specifications:
I have only three axis Y(linear), Z(linear) and C(circular) and a spindle.

My selection of electronics and electricals.
For pc i have a intel BOXNUC5CPYH 2015 Mini PC with Intel Celeron Processor N3050 2.16GHz, 4gb ram, and 120gb ssd.

And mesa 7i76e
Step-dir servo motor on all axis
And vfd for spindle motor

Query:
-> Does this pc work perfectly with mesa 7i76e and perform well ?

->I want to add an external encoder only for C axis (may be on another axis too but in future not right now) which daughter card(7i76e supported) i will required ?

->Can i config direc C axis with out A and B ?

Thanks in advance
-Yagnesh
Last edit: 29 Mar 2018 06:53 by yrsiddhapura.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2018 08:21 - 29 Mar 2018 08:22 #108062 by rodw
At a guess, your PC will probably be OK. I have used N3160 and J1900 USFF PC's with the 7i76e without any dramas. Yours appears to be a similar one in that family. I think you have 2 cores v's 4 cores which should not be a drama

You will need to disable all of the power saving feature in the BIOS and disable or remove the internal Wifi card as they will cause enormous hit on latency. Use a USB wifi dongle instead.

I'm not sure about your C axis in V2.7 but I think it would be fine in master branch V2.8 as it has seperated the joints (motors) from the axes. eg. Axes are no longer hard coded to align with the joints so I think it will be able to be done. Someone else would need to confirm behaviour in V 2.7 as I've never used it.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2018 08:22 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yrsiddhapura

More
29 Mar 2018 09:23 #108063 by yrsiddhapura
Thank you rodw

As you said i was also looking forward to use J1900 or N3700 which are quad core processor that's nice tip. And i am also thankful to your help.

And i want to attach an external encoder to my 'C' Axis so which daughter card i will required ? Can you help me with this.

More
29 Mar 2018 09:26 #108064 by rodw

Thank you rodw

And i want to attach an external encoder to my 'C' Axis so which daughter card i will required ? Can you help me with this.

Sorry, I have no experience. I am sure PCW will find your question and respond
The following user(s) said Thank You: yrsiddhapura

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds