Parallel port card or alternatives

More
01 May 2018 19:17 - 01 May 2018 19:24 #109931 by ex262
I've been running a test machine using linuxcnc (not sure of the exact version) and both a Leadshine MX4660 and Leadshine DM442 (5 axes total) and all runs well. Looking to upgrade the PC as the hardware on the current box is old. The original PC had a parallel port to connect to the Leadshine but the new one (a home-built PC that's no longer being used elsewhere) does not. Is that still the recommended method to connect, i.e. I should buy a parallel port card to put into the pc? Any suggestions on cards (I see the Mesa cards discussed here but couldn't quite figure out if that's the best option or if any will work)?

And if there's a better way these days to connect than a parallel port card, would love to hear that. If I'm buying a new part, might as well go the best solution assuming comparable price. Everything runs well on the old PC, so the main reason for the changeover is to use newer PC hardware in case of eventual failure, not necessarily to try and improve the CNC performance.

I have looked at wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxCNC_Supported_Hardware but having a hard time interpreting it. Would a simple Mesa Electronics 7i43 card what I'm looking for? Mesa Electronics 7i76E, 7i96, 7i92 and 7i80? Or are those duplicative of the MX4660 (which I'd rather not replace if I don't need to).

Thank you!
Last edit: 01 May 2018 19:24 by ex262.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2018 20:02 #109940 by tommylight
You could go for the 7i92 ethernet card or 5i25/6i25 if you plan on using a desktop PC, then you can add 7i76 for your stepper control, or just get the 7i76E version and be done with it. If i am not mistaken it has 5 axis step and direction outputs plus spindle control.

More
01 May 2018 20:41 #109941 by ex262
Thanks for the input. Just so I'm clear (as I'm quite the novice at this), I would go with the 7176E for example and then no longer need the Leadshine drivers? Or is it PC with 7i76E -> Leadshine -> stepper motors?

And yes it's just a desktop PC that I'll install linuxcnc onto. Thanks for the help!

More
01 May 2018 23:42 #109975 by andypugh

Thanks for the input. Just so I'm clear (as I'm quite the novice at this), I would go with the 7176E for example and then no longer need the Leadshine drivers? Or is it PC with 7i76E -> Leadshine -> stepper motors? !

The latter. The Mesa FPGA cards replace the parallel port. (except for those that connect via the parallel port and use it as a communications bus)

Pico also make some well thought-of cards that use the parallel port as a bus rather than as individual pins.

More
02 May 2018 16:57 #110038 by ex262
Having not used FPGA cards before, should I use the sinking or sourcing version? I have external power supplies to the Leadshine, so my gut feel would be the sourcing version?

More
02 May 2018 17:15 #110041 by PCW
The sinking our sourcing is not directly related to the motor drive type but rather how the 12/24V field outputs are wired

Sourcing outputs supply +12 or +24V to loads (relays etc) that have their common pin returned to 12 or 24V common
(negative common)

Sinking outputs drive loads with a common +12 or +24V source (positive common)

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds