LinuxCNC torque readout and mesa cards

More
06 Jun 2018 11:07 #111738 by dom96
Hi, this is my first post here and my first CNC project. I am trying to build a 5 axis CNC machine with dual-loop feedback position control and for this application I was planning to buy the 7i76E + 2x 7i85 mesa daughter cards but I am not sure if I chose the right cards. I already bought the servo motors with ADTECH QS7 servo drivers which I was going to connect with the 7i85. Is this set up going to work?

Also, I am hoping to get a torque readout on the linuxCNC for every axis but I have no idea how to connect the servo driver to the mesa cards in a way to get the torque reading so I was hoping that somebody could help with some advice. I have seen some videos where people had a torque readout on linuxCNC but I cant find any information on how to wire it with the mesa cards.

Here is an example video of the torque readout on linuxCNC:

Here I attach the link to ADTECH QS7 servo driver manual: www.pcomponentes.com.ar/PDF/AdtechServoDriver.pdf

I would be grateful if anyone could help with good advice. I am just a computer science student and I havent got much experience with CNC machines before. As I said this is my first CNC machine project.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2018 14:02 #111755 by PCW
It does not appear that those drives have a way to send torque information back to the host

Its probably possible to use those drives in analog torque mode and thereby control/report the
torque in LinuxCNC but that would require different interface hardware.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dom96

More
06 Jun 2018 15:26 #111762 by dom96
Thank you. The drive does have the torque mode. Does that mean I could just use the mesa 7i80DB + 7i77 + 7i74 and run the whole setup analog instead of step&dir and get the torque feedback displayed in linuxCNC with no extra hardware needed?

What would be the drawbacks of using analog instead of step&dir?

Also, is the mesa 7i74 a good choice for interfacing 5 SSI absolute encoders?

More
06 Jun 2018 18:22 #111776 by PCW
Yes, you could use a 7I80DB (or 7I92M) and a 7I77 for this analog interface, _but_ torque mode controls in linuxCNC typically require faster than 1 KHz servo threads and you may run into servo thread speed limitations with your Ethernet host CPU
(some CPUs = can do up to around 4 KHz on Ethernet but they are not common ) Its easier to use a 4 or 6 KHz loop with a PCI or PCIE card

A 7I74 is a good SSI interface card (and there are standard pinout files for a SSI config on a 7I74)

More
07 Jun 2018 10:40 #111852 by dom96
Thank you for all the help. So, I assume that even if I went with a very good CPU and PCIE connection I would still get better, more precise results using the velocity mode or position mode on the drive as I could get much higher frequencies on the drive loop, is that correct?

Could I just use some external torque meters and connect them in a similar way to the external encoders or would that be too complicated? The only reason I want to have the torque readout is to know whether I can push the machine harder and run the job at faster speed.

If I wouldn't be able to use external torque meters in the step&dir setup then what CPU would you recommend to use in the analog setup to ensure no servo thread speed limitations and latency problems?

More
29 Jun 2018 11:34 - 29 Jun 2018 11:34 #113080 by dom96
So, the drive manufacturer told me that the drives can send the motor current status and the motor load ratio to the PC over the ModBus protocol which would let me get the torque readout. How can I use the ModBus with 7i76e and LinuxCNC?

Also, I bought the 7i74 for the SSI encoders. Where can I find the pinout files for the SSI config on 7i76e and 7i74 set? I got the 7i76e working fine controlling the servo drives but I'm not sure how to use the 7i74 with the 7i76e as it doesn't show up in the PncConfig.

I attach a link to the servo drive ModBus protocol manual:
pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/adtech-shenzh...n/114531-657678.html
Last edit: 29 Jun 2018 11:34 by dom96.

More
29 Jun 2018 11:45 #113081 by rodw
Have a read of this thread. It might work for you

forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3328...th-uart?limitstart=0

More
29 Jun 2018 12:39 #113090 by andypugh

Also, I bought the 7i74 for the SSI encoders. Where can I find the pinout files for the SSI config on 7i76e and 7i74 set? I got the 7i76e working fine controlling the servo drives but I'm not sure how to use the 7i74 with the 7i76e as it doesn't show up in the PncConfig.

I think you will probably have to hand-edit the HAL for the 7i74.

Which bit-file are you using on the 7i76E?

More
29 Jun 2018 13:34 #113095 by dom96
At the moment I just use the default bit-file that came pre-installed on the card. This is actually the first time I use Mesa cards so I wouldn't know too much about how to program them.

More
29 Jun 2018 14:09 #113096 by andypugh
If you were to visit
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...83_85&product_id=290
and download the "support software" (cunningly hidden under the "Specifications" tab) then you can find a PIN file (PIN_7I77_7I74_SSI_34.vhd ) that would program the 7i76 to understand SSI.

Unfortunately I don't see a corresponding BIT file in there, which is what you would require to flash the 7i76E.

I think that you might have to see if PCW has the time ti make a bitfile (This is something you can do yourself, but it's a fair bit of effort to set up the build environment).

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds