servo thread limit for mesa card?

More
07 Jun 2018 10:12 #111841 by thang
Hi,

I'm using combo 5i25+7i74+7i84+7i83.

Today when i tried decrease servo thread from 1ms to 125 us, Some warnings occured, they are " Unexpected realtime delay on task 0 ..." and " Smart serial port 0 : Doit not cleared from previous servo thread ".They are still appear when i disconect remote serial daughter cards They are just not appear when i set servo thread at 250us.

Is this limit for 5i25 card or problem come from my PC? i did a latency check and saw PC is still ok

Will be better if i use PCIe card?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2018 13:05 #111870 by PCW
Usually 4 -6 KHz is about as fast as you can run smart serial devices/PCI cards on normal PCs
Basically the latency and access time cause overruns.

Note that the latency test only checks dispatch latency, not hardware = memory or I/O latency which can be much higher
than the dispatch latency.

To get an idea of actual latencies take a look at the *.tmax parameters:

halcmd show parameter *.tmax

(these numbers are in CPU clocks so need to be divided by the CPU clock frequency to get seconds)
The following user(s) said Thank You: thang

More
07 Jun 2018 16:12 #111893 by jmelson

Hi,

I'm using combo 5i25+7i74+7i84+7i83.

Today when i tried decrease servo thread from 1ms to 125 us, Some warnings occured

Why do you WANT to run your servo thread at 8 KHz? Do you actually need 3-4 KHz servo response bandwidth?
Usually, servo bandwidth of a few hundred Hz is adequate for machine tools and such. Having vastly excessive servo bandwidth can just lead to a lot of trouble in tuning.

Of course, if you are steering laser beams with mirrors or something like that, then you may be exactly right to turn up the servo rate. But, know that there are limits to how fast a typical desktop computer can go. For running a servo thread in this range 8 KHz+, it may be necessary to use purpose-built real time controllers, rather than ordinary PCs.

Jon

More
08 Jun 2018 02:12 #111956 by thang
i'm controlling AC servo in analog speed model, so i want to increase servo-thread to increase PID's performance

More
08 Jun 2018 02:33 #111957 by PCW
There is little to be gained by running velocity mode servos at faster than about 1 KHz servo thread rate
unless you have very high acceleration requirements or require very high precision at high speeds

The drive will close its local velocity loop at a much higher rate (perhaps 4 to 20 KHz), and the high bandwidth parts of system performance depend more on the drive tuning than LinuxCNCs position mode tuning

More
15 Jul 2018 18:41 #114229 by whizzo944
Hello,
Hope that this isn't hijacking this thread too much. I have a Intel D945 motherboard with onboard graphics and 5i20 & 7i33 setup.
There is no base thread, only servo thread at 1 ms. I haven't done a latency test but the question is what is acceptable latency and jitter for a servo only system with this hardware?

TIA,
Dave.

More
15 Jul 2018 19:17 - 15 Jul 2018 19:17 #114232 by PCW
100 usec jitter is normally not an issue with such a setup and more (up to say 300 usec) can be tolerated using firmware with a DPLL module to decouple the encoder sampling time from LinuxCNC's read time.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2018 19:17 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: whizzo944

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds