Mesa - Ethernet v's PCI/e

More
14 Sep 2018 01:19 #117496 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Mesa - Ethernet v's PCI/e
Takes me back! I've never really paid attention to the rapids on my machine but having rewatched the video, it is pretty quick!

I'm running 5x microstepping and 3:1 on the NEMA 23 X axis and 5:1 on the Nema 34 Y axis gantry ends so the step rate is pretty high at full speed. There are a lot of hardware and timing limitations that usually prevent the full 10 Mhz stepgen frequency being used. I think from memory my max speed is about 95 kHz.

The reason the Mesa hardware gets such high performance is that it has a hardware step generator. So Linuxcnc tells it to generate step pulses at a given frequency and it does that until LinuxCNC tells it to change. LinuxCNC can change the commanded frequency 1000 times a second so it becomes a very responsive system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: podarok

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2024 05:53 - 11 Feb 2024 05:54 #293063 by vre
Replied by vre on topic Mesa - Ethernet v's PCI/e
Hello.
If we suppose that computer has very low jitter for example the jitter has the orange pi5.
What is the best servo thread frequency
can achieve an ethernet and a pci-e mesa card? What are the limitations of eth and pci-e buses?
For stepper systems 1khz is enough
but what about pwm like H-bridge or analog speed servos with encoders feedback to linuxcnc that needs high speed/accelaration?
1khz in this case is enough or 4-8khz has improved performance?
Last edit: 11 Feb 2024 05:54 by vre.

More
11 Feb 2024 11:30 #293080 by tommylight
1kHz is enough with Mesa boards, PWM H bridges work very smooth.
I did 4kHz with Mesa boards, but i can not recall if it was a 6i25 or 7i92. Probably 6i25.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds