Fanuc red cap pulse coder identification?

More
09 Nov 2018 19:50 #120348 by Ross77
Hello
Im trying to find out whether my Fanuc servomotors have an incremental encoder that can be feed to an aftermarket drive or if it it the proprietary Fanuc output that will need the extra decoders.

The motor is an A06B-0533-B001#7000 and the pulse coder is A20B-9000-0700/02A

google fu is failing me! cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2018 13:39 #120536 by andypugh
What comes out of the wires when you rotate the motor?

More
13 Nov 2018 15:56 #120567 by jmelson
The number he gives is the part number of the PC board inside the encoder. Apparently, from a bunch of web searches, it is an A860-0304-T111 encoder, which is a 2000 line quadrature encoder with Fanuc's proprietary 4-signal commutation outputs.

The Pico Systems Fanuc Encoder Converter can convert that proprietary info to industry compatible "Hall" signals. Some servo drives are "sensorless" and do not need these signals.

See the links at the bottom of this page : pico-systems.com/fanuc_pins.html
for the pinouts for Fanuc 17 and 19-pin connectors. Then, you can figure out what wires to apply +5 and ground to.

Jon

More
13 Nov 2018 19:43 #120602 by Ross77
I haven't got them off the machine and don't have a scope to check in detail.

More
13 Nov 2018 19:58 #120603 by Ross77
Cheers, I tried googling the number but only came up with sales ads.

So the encoder is standard quadrature and its only the commutation that is proprietary? Think the Allen Bradley ultra 3000 drives I have just bought don't need the Halls

the pulse coders don't have a pin connector, there is a short cable direct out of the cap and then goes in to a screw terminal. The board connector is labeled but has two +5v and ground conectors and both have wires on them. are they just paralleled?

More
14 Nov 2018 02:18 #120650 by jmelson

Cheers, I tried googling the number but only came up with sales ads.

So the encoder is standard quadrature and its only the commutation that is proprietary? Think the Allen Bradley ultra 3000 drives I have just bought don't need the Halls

OK, then you should be able to use them as is.

the pulse coders don't have a pin connector, there is a short cable direct out of the cap and then goes in to a screw terminal. The board connector is labeled but has two +5v and ground conectors and both have wires on them. are they just paralleled?

Yes, for redundancy or lower voltage drop, they used 2 pins for power and ground. They are paralleled inside the encoder.

Jon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ross77

More
16 Nov 2018 00:32 #120796 by Ross77
Thanks for all the help guys, back on track know. cheers

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds