Best new servo setup

More
13 Nov 2018 07:58 - 13 Nov 2018 08:20 #120528 by pippin88
I'm looking at building a cnc mill. I want a more capable mill than the standard G0704 etc conversions, and a full-scale VMC is too large / power hungry for my garage. It will use linear rails, ball screws (unsure how feasible ground screws vs the standard rolled screws), and servos. Likely a steel weldment, although considering a granite surface plate base.

This brings me to the question of the best new servo setup, including motors, drivers and driver boards.

Important criteria for me:
New - available to buy online. I don't want to be chasing old equipment on auction sites etc.
Linear encoders - I want the best achievable accuracy and am planning to use glass scales. This may impact on the servo loop(s).
... This may lead to needing a lot of encoder inputs - 3-4 linear encoders, +/- 4-5 rotary encoders (XYYZ, spindle) +/- 4th and 5th axis encoders.
Possibility to easily add 4th and possibly 5th axis later.

Servo motor / driver selection:
AC servos
The chinese options are desirable based on price. JMC (www.jmc-motor.com/) appear to be a viable option and well priced, however like many chinese products, it's hard to find a lot of experience with them.
DMM (Dyn4) is a viable option.

The loop / servo drive input options
Options:
Full analog - dual loop into linuxcnc (servo rotary encoder and axis linear encoder)
Step + dir - common interface. Impact on the loop may vary between different servo drivers?
Serial - Is serial better than step + dir?
Proprietary - not interested

Driver boards
The JMC system allows:
  • analog +/-10V (in speed control and torque control modes)
  • Step/dir
  • serial - RS-232 and RS-485
JMC manual available at: www.jmc-motor.com/file/1806082788.pdf
I like and use Mesa driver boards for my stepper machines. The choice of boards depends on a number of the above things of course.

If you were putting together a new servo setup, what would you chose?
What input to the servo drivers (analog, serial, step/dir)?
Based on this, what Mesa driver boards would you use?
... May need 8 encoders with ability to add more later if needed
... Multiple RS-485 seems to be an issue with Mesa gear - the boards appear to be RS-422 mainly
Any suggestions on best motor / driver brand?

Thanks in advance!
Last edit: 13 Nov 2018 08:20 by pippin88.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2018 15:20 #120554 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Best new servo setup

If you were putting together a new servo setup, what would you chose?

This might not be a very helpful answer...

I can't imagine buying new servo motors for a one-off build. If you need continuity of supply for an actual product it is a different thing.
So I would find some servos on eBay and then drive them with STMBL drives. But then I have some STMBL drives. It's hard to get hold of them at the moment because a critical component has become unavailable.

(See, I warned you this wouldn't be helpful)
The following user(s) said Thank You: silopolis

More
17 Nov 2018 02:12 #120881 by pippin88
Replied by pippin88 on topic Best new servo setup
Andy, thanks for the reply.

I've looked at STMBL before, and it looks like a great driver. Not super easy to find clear info on. I don't think it's something I could put together easily (difficulty of soldering required etc).

What component is unavailable?

What driver input would you use with STMBL?
What Mesa boards?

More
17 Nov 2018 02:52 #120884 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Best new servo setup
For a Mesa interface I would suggest a 7I94 which is new but should be available soon
The 7I94 is a Ethernet connected card with 8 RS-422 ports and 1 LPT compatible expansion port.

More
17 Nov 2018 11:37 #120892 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Best new servo setup

I've looked at STMBL before, and it looks like a great driver. Not super easy to find clear info on. I don't think it's something I could put together easily (difficulty of soldering required etc).

What component is unavailable?

Unfortunately the main one. the IRAM256-2067A2 3-phase bridge module. Unfortunately only the A2 module fits.

So, at the moment, the STMBL isn't really an option as there are none available until a new hardware design is settled upon.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds